Old 10-01-2012, 05:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Need receipe for virussed plants, please

A few years ago, someone helpfully posted a recipe which used aspirin to
help cure virussed plants. I'm sure I marked it as interesting, but now
cannot find it.

I have a patch of isolated Leucojum bulbs in the garden which are
displaying virus-like symptoms. When in flower, the green marking on
each petal is elongated into a central stripe, which is potentially
*very* attractive. Sadly, there is some distortion in the flowerheads
(due to virus?) which spoils their beauty and prevents me from
propagating them.

I'm really interested in curing the virus and growing these bulbs on to
find out if the attractive striping i)persists without the virus, and
ii)if that striping is generally stable over a few generations without
reverting to the virussed distorted from, which certainly isn't attractive.

Does anyone remember the aspirin recipe or, indeed, have any other
advice? Thank you for your time.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 10-01-2012, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 10, 5:18*pm, Spider wrote:
[...]

There is no cure for viruses (virii?) in plants (or humans), except
dig up and burn. That's why people die of AIDS and influenza.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:18:41 +0000, Spider wrote:

[...]

It may be an old wives tale but the "recipe" I've seen is 300
milligrams of soluble aspirin, 2 gallons of water and 2 tablespoons of
mild liquid soap, the latter to help the mixture stay on the leaves.
Spray every 3 weeks.

The main ingredient of aspirin - salicylic acid - was identified in a
Cambridge University study as something in plants' health arsenal.
Deets at
http://www.innovations-report.com/ht...ort-27302.html

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 10-01-2012, 06:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 10, 5:41*pm, harry wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:18*pm, Spider wrote:

[...]

dig up and burn. *That's why people die of AIDS and influenza.- Hide quoted text -

What you are thinking about is a bit I posted about a customer of mine
who used soluable asprin to dose young plants that were showing signs
of virus.
I was going to try it last year but with things as they were I never
got round to it.
Soluable asprins are cheap,
Salicylic acid is a growth stimulant.
So who knows, it may work, and it.s not going to break the bank
experimenting.
David@ the wet end of Swansea bay
Old 10-01-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/01/2012 18:10, Dave Hill wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:41 pm, wrote:
On Jan 10, 5:18 pm, wrote:

[...]

Many thanks, David. I knew I hadn't imagine it! Will give it a go when
growth starts in earnest. I'll report back.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/01/2012 18:07, Jake wrote:
On Tue, 10 Jan 2012 17:18:41 +0000, wrote:

[...]

Thanks, Jake, I've noted that and will have a go. That link is very
interesting. I think I'll print it off for future reference. My memory
is hopeless these days. If it isn't written down, it's gone :~(.

Old 10-01-2012, 09:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Standard treatment to remove virus from chrysanth stools is hot water.
Stools are immersed in water at around 126F. for five minutes and then
plunged into cold water, prior to boxing up. The old 'Burco' type boiler was
ideal for this. I have also experimented with Dahlia tubers and found that
they require ten minutes for the treatment to be effective. Leucojum bulbs
should respond well to this treatment, a large saucepan is all that you need
but take care that the water does not rise above 130F.

Phil

Old 11-01-2012, 09:18 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 10, 9:50*pm, "Phil Gurr" wrote:
"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Phil- Hide quoted text -

Never heard of hot water treatment for virus, always thought it was
for root eelworm, Interesting!
I wonder how a combination of hot water and asprin would work?
David
Old 11-01-2012, 01:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

David, I did a lot of research on this many years ago and had some articles
published in 'Amateur Gardener' and the National Chrysanthemum Society
yearbook. It was uncertain at the time whether the viruses were just
inactivated or killed. The temperature quoted for killing eelworm was in the
region of 117F., but plant tissue will survive up to a temperature of 136F.
above which cell proteins start to coagulate leading to tissue death. When a
tempertaure of 130F. was used, the resultant chrysanthemum cuttings were
found to be free of virus. The same occured with dahlias. Hot water
treatment of celery seed is standard practise to eliminate virus which can
(unusually) be transmitted through the seed.

HTH

Phil

Old 11-01-2012, 02:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

"Spider" wrote in message

[...]

Interesting.
The problem is that you tend to remove dahlias with virus wnen they
are growing so as to stop virus spreading, and with around 3000 tubers
it's to many to treat as a routine.
That's why asprin is interesting as you can treat the growing plant.
Have to give it some thought
David

Old 11-01-2012, 04:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/01/2012 21:50, Phil Gurr wrote:
wrote in message
[...]

Thanks for that, Phil. I must admit the idea of scalding my precious
bulbs is worrying, but I am taking notes. I will try the aspirin
solution first, in the knowledge that I can try scalding if it doesn't
work. Should I just scald the entire bulb as it grows in its pot, or
remove all the soil from it and then plunge it? I suspect there are
roots now, since it's in growth already; will these survive scalding, or
should I wait till the bulbs are dormant and rootless and try then. Any
ideas? I ask this because I understand that bulbs will not replace
their roots when damaged, as other plants do.

Old 11-01-2012, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

*wrote in message
[...]

gardening on clay- Hide quoted text -

130f is not scalding, its just over 10c above what would be calledas
hand hot, you probably use it a lot warmer when you hand wash dishes.
David
Old 11-01-2012, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
[...]

It can only be done with dormant bulbs and tubers.

Phil

Old 12-01-2012, 03:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Phil
Gurr writes
I wonder how a combination of hot water and asprin would work?

Sounds a bit like lemsip
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-01-2012, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 12, 3:06*am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Phil
Gurr writes

I wonder how a combination of hot water and asprin would work?

Sounds a bit like lemsip
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Except that's paracetamol, and won't take the headache out of growing
plants