Old 15-01-2012, 12:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Ceanothus cuttings

I have an incredibly fruitful (or rather, flower-ful) Ceanothus tree -
I call it my Presbyterian tree because I acquired it at a sale of work
at the Presbyterian church next door to me -
and I want to take some cuttings to Italy at the beginning of March.

What is the best strategy?
Should I try and root them now before I go away,
or should I take cuttings just before I leave?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy
e-mail: gayleard /at/ eircom.net

Old 15-01-2012, 09:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Timothy Murphy" wrote in message
I have an incredibly fruitful (or rather, flower-ful) Ceanothus tree -
I call it my Presbyterian tree because I acquired it at a sale of work
at the Presbyterian church next door to me -
and I want to take some cuttings to Italy at the beginning of March.

What is the best strategy?
Should I try and root them now before I go away,
or should I take cuttings just before I leave?

Any advice or suggestions gratefully received.

--
Timothy Murphy

Semi ripe cuttings will root under mist at almost any time so long as the
plant is not in flower, mist with bottom heat works best, plastic bag over a
pot method tends to defoliate the cuttings and is not normally successful.
If you can wait they root quite easily in a cold frame over winter taken
about October

However you do it, they dislike root disturbance so pot up carefully once
rooting has started

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 16-01-2012, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Charlie Pridham wrote:

= Semi ripe cuttings will root under mist at almost any time so long as the
plant is not in flower, mist with bottom heat works best, plastic bag over
a pot method tends to defoliate the cuttings and is not normally
successful.

Any suggestions for a cheap (maybe make-it-yourself) mist progation kit?

Old 16-01-2012, 07:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
Semi ripe cuttings will root under mist at almost any time so long as
the plant is not in flower, mist with bottom heat works best, plastic
bag over a pot method tends to defoliate the cuttings and is not
normally successful.
If you can wait they root quite easily in a cold frame over winter
taken about October

I'd love to get a mister I already have a heated deep sand tray. (I put
my stuff in straight into sharp sand and old compost seems to work jolly
well)
Anyway my question is: what is the best mister fro a small set up? Don't
want to spend umpteen pounds on some phenomenally huge commercial thing
but wondered if you had any pointers as to make etc.
The deep tray thing I got from 2 west's. But presumably you need a water
source or something?
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 17-01-2012, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
[...]

Janet & Tim

The units that LBS sell are quite versatile, I am afraid that its no cheaper
to service 1 nozzle than 20 (other than a few pounds on the pipe work) they
are about £150 plus pipe work, they used to do a package deal.
I originally set mine to run 17 nozzles but quickly reduced it to 8 and I
seldom have more than 5 on at any one time (shut off valves in the pipe
work) Those 5 nozzles provide all the plants for our nursery, some stuff
like clematis does not need mist so just has bottom heat.

Do bear in mind 3 important considerations
What will happen to the excess water
the need for edge of mist space for stuff that doesn't like full mist
the need for a weaning area, you can use the mist unit to wean but this
takes it off its frontline work of being a mist unit!

If you think that would be way over the top, check out "Dew Point cabinets"
and those small battery operated water valves, if you set one to do say 5
short mists a day it would be better than nothing although you may have to
play with the shade levels.

I was also given a unit that works on sun light rather than air humidity to
operate but I have never seen them for sale, I use this as a mister for the
big greenhouse so stuff doest dry out, I have never seen them offered for
sale and it is not very controllable but there is a lot less to it so I
would imagine it would be a lot cheaper

You may consider a proper mist unit a good investment as you can (as I do)
use it for seed sowing, and keeping everything going while away on holiday

Old 17-01-2012, 11:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 17, 9:10*am, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:
[...]

and Lapageria rosea cvshttp://www.roselandhouse.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

I wonder why mist is still so much in favour, I'd have thought Fog
would be a better system.
I remember seeing a fog unit at a trade show a few years back but
nothing realy since then, though LBS do sell fogging nozels, nit the
same as the unit I saw.
Much lower water output, so less chance of waterloging.
David @ the wet end of Swansea Bay.
Old 17-01-2012, 12:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
was also given a unit that works on sun light rather than air humidity
to operate but I have never seen them for sale, I use this as a mister
for the big greenhouse so stuff doest dry out, I have never seen them
offered for sale and it is not very controllable but there is a lot
less to it so I would imagine it would be a lot cheaper

You may consider a proper mist unit a good investment as you can (as I
do) use it for seed sowing, and keeping everything going while away on
holiday

Charlie do i need a water supply then or does it have a reservoir that
you top up?
I have soil warming cables at the moment plus a heated tray etc. stopped
using my hotbox about 4 years ago as it was too expensive to run even
just to a couple of degrees.

Wondered if a container of water on top of the sand and then a cover
would be the same? I.e. the water evaporates and causes humidity?

I will look at 2 west's dew point cabinets. The bottom of that is my
tray/bench that i got from them so presumably the top will fit!
Considering the amount of cuttings i take it might be wroth my
while...........
Old 17-01-2012, 10:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

Yes you need a water supply for a mist unit,

Dave, Fog is very good but you just don't seem to be able to get the set up
easily, and of course if like me you have a mist unit that works really well
the incentive to switch to something you are not familiar with is not great
:~)

Old 18-01-2012, 10:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
Yes you need a water supply for a mist unit

So could i get a cover and put a bowl of water inside as a sort of
compromise?
Old 20-01-2012, 06:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
Semi ripe cuttings will root under mist at almost any time so long as the
plant is not in flower, mist with bottom heat works best, plastic bag over
a pot method tends to defoliate the cuttings and is not normally
successful.
If you can wait they root quite easily in a cold frame over winter taken
about October

I'd love to get a mister

snip
Having just read some pun threads I couldn't get
"Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister"
out of my head.
You gotta love the vagaries of the English language.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 20-01-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 20/01/2012 18:02, David WE Roberts wrote:

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
Semi ripe cuttings will root under mist at almost any time so long as
the plant is not in flower, mist with bottom heat works best, plastic
bag over a pot method tends to defoliate the cuttings and is not
normally successful.
If you can wait they root quite easily in a cold frame over winter
taken about October

I'd love to get a mister

snip
Having just read some pun threads I couldn't get
"Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister"
out of my head.
You gotta love the vagaries of the English language.

Aka an atomiser, which doesn't rhyme with anything
Old 20-01-2012, 07:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Two or three years ago, I saw little ultrasonic humidifiers in our
local garden centre. They weren't intended for use specifically in
mist propagators, but did produce a sort of fine fog of water
droplets, and were meant for generally raising the humidity in
conservatories or other rooms that might suffer from low humidity. One
of these operated intermittent using a timer might do for you. Google
for ultrasonic humidifier and lots appear, at around GBP 30. Might be
something there that suits.

Chris

Several around for in the region of £5.00 then jump to multi atomiser
at £79.+
Best bet Maplins
Problem is they almost all come with fancy lights.
Old 20-01-2012, 07:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

Having just read some pun threads I couldn't get
"Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister"
out of my head.
You gotta love the vagaries of the English language.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

You're not going to say you remember the Beverly Sisters?
Old 20-01-2012, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Having just read some pun threads I couldn't get
"Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister"
out of my head.
You gotta love the vagaries of the English language.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

You're not going to say you remember the Beverly Sisters?

I also remember Billy Wright :-)

Not only that, but the Morecambe & Wise version as well :-)

Old 20-01-2012, 10:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
Having just read some pun threads I couldn't get
"Lord help the mister who comes between me and my sister"
out of my head.
You gotta love the vagaries of the English language.

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

You're not going to say you remember the Beverly Sisters?

I also remember Billy Wright :-)

Not only that, but the Morecambe & Wise version as well :-)

....and I even get a mention on the Wikipedia page
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beverley_Sisters

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Ceanothus cuttings Timothy Murphy United Kingdom 5 19-03-2010 01:25 PM
Rock elm cuttings no go, but sour cherry cuttings are going [email protected] Plant Science 0 15-08-2008 07:15 AM
ceanothus emc United Kingdom 5 15-02-2003 05:06 PM
Ceanothus for hedging? david United Kingdom 6 15-02-2003 03:08 AM
Ceanothus for hedging? Adrian Stanley United Kingdom 3 08-02-2003 10:11 AM