Old 22-01-2012, 02:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Strawberry foliage not died off.

My existing and new strawbs foliage is still present.
I thought that they should wilt and die before spring.

Baz
Old 22-01-2012, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 14:32:40 GMT, Baz wrote:

My existing and new strawbs foliage is still present.
I thought that they should wilt and die before spring.

Baz

Mine's the same. Conventional wisdom says that, about now, we chop off
the dead stuff to let the new green growth develop. This is new
territory for me but I'm planning to work on the basis that the old
growth will simply suck nutrient from the flowers/berries and at the
moment it's bigger than the new so while I've got that distinction I'm
going to chop it off.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.
Old 22-01-2012, 04:27 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake View Post

Mine's the same. Conventional wisdom says that, about now, we chop off
the dead stuff to let the new green growth develop. This is new
territory for me but I'm planning to work on the basis that the old
growth will simply suck nutrient from the flowers/berries and at the
moment it's bigger than the new so while I've got that distinction I'm
going to chop it off.
.
My logic would be that if it's green and healthy it's photosynthesising and making a positive contribution. Once it starts to look less good than the new stuff, hack it off and let the new stuff get a share of the light.
__________________
Old 22-01-2012, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 22 Jan 2012 15:00:22 +0000, Jake Nospam@invalid wrote:

. Conventional wisdom says that, about now, we chop off
the dead stuff to let the new green growth develop.

You cut off the old stuff, as soon after harvest as possible, clears
away all the bugs and nasty's, and allows the sun to get to the
crowns, so boosting the next year crop.

but this year we got a second crop, and the leaves grew and confused
all. I am going to wait until march, and remove all leaves again, but
willing to listen to anyone with a better idea.

'
..
..
..
..

Are you a 2012 Gamemaker too?
www.lincolnshire2012.com
Old 23-01-2012, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.9922996
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

Jake;947838 Wrote:

Mine's the same. Conventional wisdom says that, about now, we chop off
the dead stuff to let the new green growth develop. This is new
territory for me but I'm planning to work on the basis that the old
growth will simply suck nutrient from the flowers/berries and at the
moment it's bigger than the new so while I've got that distinction I'm
going to chop it off.
.

My logic would be that if it's green and healthy it's photosynthesising
and making a positive contribution. Once it starts to look less good
than the new stuff, hack it off and let the new stuff get a share of the
light.

3 ideas all saying cut off last years foliage. That's what I am going to
do. When it is done, it's done, no going back. Let's hope we are right, but
no big deal we will have our strawbs, maybe bigger, maybe smaller. Time
will tell.

If you read this, what feed do you use? I use tomato liquid feed, probably
not the best thing.

Baz

Old 23-01-2012, 11:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Baz wrote:
If you read this, what feed do you use? I use tomato liquid feed, probably
not the best thing.

(Sulphate of?) potash. But we're migrating the strawberry patch to a
covered patch full of mixed-animal-poo this year, as it's getting too weedy
and the soil is horrid. Need to get the runners from last year put in asap.
Old 23-01-2012, 03:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

If you read this, what feed do you use? I use tomato liquid feed, probably
not the best thing.

Would that not promote leaf growth , I would prefer fruit growth so
feed is kept to the minimum.
Old 23-01-2012, 04:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 23 Jan 2012 15:29:27 +0000, Derek
wrote:

If you read this, what feed do you use? I use tomato liquid feed, probably
not the best thing.

Would that not promote leaf growth , I would prefer fruit growth so
feed is kept to the minimum.

It's a case of getting the right N-P-K balance
(Nitrogen-Phosphorus-Potassium). Early in the year more N promotes
the growth of roots and greenery. Then at the flowering stage, a lot
less N and more P. Finally upping the K as the flowers begin to fade
will promote growth of fruit and veg.

Some people advocate a 20-10-20 mix at the start, a 5-10-5 in the
middle and a 10-10-20 at the end (the 10-10-20 is particularly good
for spuds).

And don't forget the micro nutrients.

Stopping feeding will lead to poorer cropping unless you're lucky
enough to have some wonderful soil.

FWIW, over the years I've tried many combinations but for the last few
have zeroed in on bone meal at soil preparation time and then a
product called "Flower Power" (which is only available through QVC)
coupled with another (I think also QVC exclusive) called Spray-n-Grow
which provides all the micro nutrients. I've tried, say, in a year
feeding some tomatoes with Tomato food and others with my Flower
Power/Spray-n-Grow combo and have got more from the combo fed ones.
Sales plug over.

Cheers, Jake