Old 29-01-2012, 09:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Indoor Hyacinth

We have some lovely large scented hyacinths, but the will not stay
upright in the bowl. Apart from constructing a frame to support them,
does anyone have any tips on keeping them upright as they grow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 29-01-2012, 09:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 29 Jan 2012 21:22:43 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

We have some lovely large scented hyacinths, but the will not stay
upright in the bowl. Apart from constructing a frame to support them,
does anyone have any tips on keeping them upright as they grow?

There are three main possibilities - you need to deal with whichever
one(s) apply

1) You've watered too much (especially if there are no drainage holes
in the bowl). Let the compost dry out and water only when you can
stick a finger in to the second joint without feeling any damp. If in
bulb fibre feel for damp at the first finger joint.
2)They're the wrong depth or too close together. There should be about
an inch between the bulbs and at least 2 inches below them to allow
for root growth. A common mistake is to bury the bulbs too deeply -
they should only be buried to about half way.
3) They're too warm. If they're on a window sill above a radiator you
need to move them somewhere cooler. Too much warmth is the usual cause
of premature droop.

Of course, the other possibility is that you're feeding them too much
Penderyn - they only need a drop or two every few months. Anything
more is bound to induce droop of the brewers' variety :-)

HTH

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay where
the four seasons are salt,pepper,mustard and vinegar.
Old 30-01-2012, 09:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
We have some lovely large scented hyacinths, but the will not stay
upright in the bowl. Apart from constructing a frame to support them,
does anyone have any tips on keeping them upright as they grow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

The Dutch in their mass displays outdoors use wire rods pushed down through
the stem and bulb, not sure I could bring myself to do that.

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 30-01-2012, 10:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 30, 9:47*am, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 30 Jan 2012 09:14:17 -0000, "Charlie Pridham"

wrote:

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
We have some lovely large scented hyacinths, but the will not stay
upright in the bowl. Apart from constructing a frame to support them,
does anyone have any tips on keeping them upright as they grow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

The Dutch in their mass displays outdoors use wire rods pushed down through
the stem and bulb, not sure I could bring myself to do that.

I didn't know that. I'll take a closer look when I go to the Keukenhof
this year.
--

Martin- Hide quoted text -

I think that most of your problem is lack of good light.
Old 30-01-2012, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Nospam@invalid
says...

wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jake,

Some interesting points to consider.

I must say that I would never feed Penderyn to anyone or anything except
ME!

Certainly, planting may have been a problem, I've always planted with
just the tip of the bulb showing above the fibre, as my mother taught
me. This year the roots do seem to have surfaced round the edge of the
bowl, which I've never had before, even though I've used the same bowl.

In one single bulb pot, the flower is still small and growing, but
horizontally!

I don't think over warmth is a problem, they live in the garage
(integral to the house and frost free) in the dark until flower head is
visible, then they green up in the garage window before moving to an
unheated bedroom window. Eventually when the flower colour shows and is
getting large, they move to the lounge, where they reside on a shelf
(actually a fireplace - but no fire!) Heating is off peak electric
storeage rads, so temperature is fairly constant.

Will try harder next year!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old 30-01-2012, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 29, 9:22*pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
We have some lovely large scented hyacinths, but the will not stay
upright in the bowl. Apart from constructing a frame to support them,
does anyone have any tips on keeping them upright as they grow?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

I had this problem when a major part of my job was supplying large
numbers of flowering pot plants to decorate a large dark overheated
country house.
I used those split bamboo sticks sharpened to a fine point stuck well
into the bulb (inside the foliage but not too close to the flower stem
otherwise if that gets damaged all is lost) then discrete ties lost
amongs the foliage. Usually the pot is mainly going to be viewed from
one side so put the sticks on the 'back' side.

Rod

Hyacinth - Indoor forced Brigitte J. Gardening 2 28-03-2004 11:44 PM
Indoor Hyacinth Problems jamescarver United Kingdom 3 25-11-2003 08:43 PM
Indoor Hyacinth Jack United Kingdom 4 11-02-2003 10:04 PM
Festival Blue hyacinth Zemedelec Gardening 0 11-02-2003 05:25 PM
Water Hyacinth REBEL JOE Ponds 5 08-02-2003 11:01 PM