GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   £360 for a snowdrop? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202054-%A3360-snowdrop.html)

Fuschia[_3_] 02-02-2012 02:36 PM

£360 for a snowdrop?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16789834

Christina Websell 03-02-2012 12:09 AM

£360 for a snowdrop?

"Fuschia" wrote in message
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16789834

I've send this link to my German friend who brought over with her, when she
visited me, some beautiful double ones.
They sulked for the first year in English soil and only sent up leaves but
after that they flowered beautifully.
They are always weeks behind my ordinary ones and are only showed white a
week ago.
Now you would think, given the weather she has there during the winter,
minus a million and huge snow, that they would appreciate it here and come
up first but no!

Dave Poole 04-02-2012 10:13 AM

£360 for a snowdrop?

Back in the '70s, I was shown a pot of Galanthus 'E.A. Bowles' by a
nurseryman friend who was something of a galanthophile. He rated it
as the most treasured of his collection and had a small stock. I was
offered a bulb, but declined because as pretty as they are, I simply
cannot get at all enthusiastic about any of the snowdrops. I see that
in the link, a single bulb of this variety sold for £357.00 last
year.

Mike Lyle[_1_] 25-02-2012 10:03 PM

£360 for a snowdrop?

On Sat, 4 Feb 2012 02:13:49 -0800 (PST), Dave Poole
wrote:

Back in the '70s, I was shown a pot of Galanthus 'E.A. Bowles' by a
nurseryman friend who was something of a galanthophile. He rated it
as the most treasured of his collection and had a small stock. I was
offered a bulb, but declined because as pretty as they are, I simply
cannot get at all enthusiastic about any of the snowdrops. I see that
in the link, a single bulb of this variety sold for £357.00 last
year.

I love snowdrops; my memory's beginning to fail so maybe I didn't, as
I thought, buy some bulbs la couple of years ago labelled "E.A.Bowles"
for maybe two quid for ten. Are there misnamings going on?

Mike

Stewart Robert Hinsley 25-02-2012 10:57 PM

£360 for a snowdrop?

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
wrote:

Back in the '70s, I was shown a pot of Galanthus 'E.A. Bowles' by a
nurseryman friend who was something of a galanthophile. He rated it
as the most treasured of his collection and had a small stock. I was
offered a bulb, but declined because as pretty as they are, I simply
cannot get at all enthusiastic about any of the snowdrops. I see that
in the link, a single bulb of this variety sold for £357.00 last
year.

I love snowdrops; my memory's beginning to fail so maybe I didn't, as
I thought, buy some bulbs la couple of years ago labelled "E.A.Bowles"
for maybe two quid for ten. Are there misnamings going on?

Could you have misremembered a purchase of Crocus chrysanthus 'E.A.
Bowles'?

Mike

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Mike L 27-02-2012 01:31 PM

£360 for a snowdrop?

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 22:57:34 +0000, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
wrote:

Back in the '70s, I was shown a pot of Galanthus 'E.A. Bowles' by a
nurseryman friend who was something of a galanthophile. He rated it
as the most treasured of his collection and had a small stock. I was
offered a bulb, but declined because as pretty as they are, I simply
cannot get at all enthusiastic about any of the snowdrops. I see that
in the link, a single bulb of this variety sold for £357.00 last
year.

I love snowdrops; my memory's beginning to fail so maybe I didn't, as
I thought, buy some bulbs la couple of years ago labelled "E.A.Bowles"
for maybe two quid for ten. Are there misnamings going on?

Could you have misremembered a purchase of Crocus chrysanthus 'E.A.
Bowles'?

I not only could have, but I think I must have! Thank you.
Furthermore, the snowdrops in question were _elwesii_. I'm considering
having my name tattooed on my forearm...

--
Mike.

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 29-02-2012 06:25 PM

£360 for a snowdrop?

In article , Mike L
writes
I not only could have, but I think I must have! Thank you.
Furthermore, the snowdrops in question were _elwesii_. I'm considering
having my name tattooed on my forearm...

Until he was 11 my son used to always have a piece of paper with his
name and address and phone number on, in his shoe, in case he got lost
:)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph