Old 05-02-2012, 11:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Snow and netting/mesh/fleece?

{returned from walk to allotment}

Last years snow rested on my netting over cabbages etc., but last nights
(100mm+) went straight through.
On the other hand... the mesh over my broad beans, supported on hoops
(made of salvaged yellow plastic gas pipe) spaced 1m apart, was squashed
down.
Have cleared snow,some of which went through mesh, and will need to wait
and see if there is damage to plants.

I don't have fleece over any plants.
How do others prepare for snow?
Remove covers? Better support for mesh/netting?

I notice one allotment holder who had a proprietary ali frame with mesh
over cabbages, who suffered in the wind, has suffered further damage
with the snow (in first year of use!).
My netting frame has survived ten+ years of use.

Jim
Old 05-02-2012, 12:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jim Chisholm wrote:

Last years snow rested on my netting over cabbages etc., but last nights
(100mm+) went straight through.

It depends a lot on the mesh size. It didn't on mine.

On the other hand... the mesh over my broad beans, supported on hoops
(made of salvaged yellow plastic gas pipe) spaced 1m apart, was squashed
down.

Why you you net them? Deer? Pigeons and pheasants don't normally
go for them.

Have cleared snow,some of which went through mesh, and will need to wait
and see if there is damage to plants.

The previous frost was cold enough to start damaging most brassicas.
Only the very hardy ones will have been completely unaffected.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Jim Chisholm wrote:

The previous frost was cold enough to start damaging most brassicas.
Only the very hardy ones will have been completely unaffected.

It's just (some) savoy cabbages and purple sprouting broccoli left under
netting

Don't think there will be much difference in the weather between
Nick's house and my allotment (about 3km distance and a few metres height!)

For quite a strong meaning of 'a few'! I looked at my brassicas
recently, and the kohl rabi and broccoli were very limp; the
cavallero nero were a bit better. I shall see whether they rot
when it warms up again.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.