GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Raspberries (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202102-raspberries.html)

Dave Hill 05-02-2012 11:24 AM

Raspberries

Have I missed out on something?
Taken from a T & M mailing
Raspberry 'Polka' (Autumn fruiting)
Rubus idaeus
Hardy Shrub
Height: 150cm (59”). Spread: 50cm (20”).

Once established, each plant can produce up to 2.5kg of large, deep-
red berries

I have never heard of Raspberries as shrubs, I've always known them to
be canes, and with a spread oF 20" ?????
No wonder they can get almost 6 lbs of fruit from one plant.

I couldn't be T & M stretching the facts could it?
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay

Baz[_3_] 07-02-2012 03:04 PM

Raspberries

Dave Hill wrote in news:9f4fc782-47a9-4a27-
:

I couldn't be T & M stretching the facts could it?
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay

IMO T&M know nothing of fact, and if they did it would be stretced.

Roger Tonkin 07-02-2012 08:00 PM

Raspberries

In article 9f4fc782-47a9-4a27-b8b3-62f5e3133c94
@o13g2000vbf.googlegroups.com, says...

Have I missed out on something?
Taken from a T & M mailing
Raspberry 'Polka' (Autumn fruiting)
Rubus idaeus
Hardy Shrub
Height: 150cm (59?). Spread: 50cm (20?).

Once established, each plant can produce up to 2.5kg of large, deep-
red berries

I have never heard of Raspberries as shrubs, I've always known them to
be canes, and with a spread oF 20" ?????
No wonder they can get almost 6 lbs of fruit from one plant.

I couldn't be T & M stretching the facts could it?
David @ the wet end of Swansea bay

I suspect they are talking about a mature group of canes after a few
years of growth. Remember you cut the autumn fruiting ones down in the
spring and they fruit on the new shoots, so from a single cane you can
get three of four new canes in the first year.

Given a good long season, 6lbs of fruit seems almost reasonable,
probably stretching it a bit though!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales