GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Wallflower seedlings query. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202264-wallflower-seedlings-query.html)

RiversideRed 12-02-2012 04:06 PM

Wallflower seedlings query.

I know its not sowing season, but last year I had a real problem with weeds
and wallflower seedlings in open ground.(sown in late july)
The wallflowers were overtaken by chickweed and pretty much every other weed
, making it very labour intensive.
Is it possible to propogate in pots then plant seedling in rows when easily
distinguishable.
Or are there any ideas as open ground sowing will not happen again this
year.

Dave Hill 12-02-2012 10:06 PM

On Feb 12, 4:06*pm, "RiversideRed" wrote:
I know its not sowing season, but last year I had a real problem with weeds
and wallflower seedlings in open ground.(sown in late july)
The wallflowers were overtaken by chickweed and pretty much every other weed
, making it very labour intensive.
Is it possible to propogate in pots then plant seedling in rows when easily
distinguishable.
Or are there any ideas as open ground sowing will not happen again this
year.

We used to sow wallflower seed in May, transplant to nursery beds in
July and by Sept had plants about 12 inches accross ready to plant
into their final position.
David

kay 12-02-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RiversideRed (Post 950677)
I know its not sowing season, but last year I had a real problem with weeds
and wallflower seedlings in open ground.(sown in late july)
The wallflowers were overtaken by chickweed and pretty much every other weed
, making it very labour intensive.
Is it possible to propogate in pots then plant seedling in rows when easily
distinguishable.
Or are there any ideas as open ground sowing will not happen again this
year.

Yes, perfectly possible to propagate in pots or a seed tray (depending on how many you want to sow. I sow all my seeds in pots/trays for later transplanting, and wallflowers are one of the toughest.