Old 21-02-2012, 12:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Wow - fun with new chipper!

"AL_n" wrote in message
I acquired my first wood chipper today. What a fantastic toy! I spent four
hours sredding branches from some overgrown bushes that I heavily pruned
last week. Ended up with a fantastic quantity of good mulch.

After that, I shredded some seaweed I had gathered a few days ago. That
will make it much more suitable for brew-creating purposes.

I'm trying to think of some less-obvious things one might be able to turn
into mulch, with the help of one of these machines. Does anyone have any
ideas? Do you use your garden shredder for any other purposes, apart from
making wood-chip mulch?

TIA,

I went a bit berserk with my shredder when I first had it, but it's not a
big fancy one, it's a JCB ordinary garden type model. I soon found out that
it did not like small fresh prunings which would jam it, and it was a hell
of a job to relocate the screw to get the top back on after the jam was
cleared. I wouldn't dare put seaweed in it.
Having said that, now I know the beast, it happily chomps away at any
prunings I've allowed to dry out. It's preferred prey would be broom
handles, anything that sort of diameter and length disappears in a flash.
I use the results for mulch and also in my chicken runs for the birds to
scratch around in.
What sort is yours? Maybe a bit more industrial than mine?

Tina

Old 21-02-2012, 12:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
Jake wrote in
:

The other, more
expensive, type uses a crusher mechanism. Quieter and less likely to
clog so could be used to crush compost I suppose though I wouldn't
risk it as this type of shredder costs bucks!

I think that's what I've got. Here is a pictu
http://tinyurl.com/7z9duvg
The shredding mechanism looks like a 4" diameter gear wheel with hardened
edges to the teeth. It turns slowly (about 60 rpm) and drags the branches
(up to about 35mm thick) in, and chews them up. The seller advised not to
put my hand in there; can't think why. ;-)

That's like the wheel that is inside mine (see upthread) so it's not a
chipper, it's a normal garden shredder. My advice is not to overface it in
your enthusiasm of having a new toy.
I'm surprised you got away with putting seaweed through it, having read
this, tbh.
Do try not to jam it with lots of green or inappropriate stuff because even
when (of course) you switch it off first, that wheel can spin back when it's
freed and give you seriously cut fingers. It happened to me once, when I
first got it because I thought it was a miracle machine and I could throw
pretty much anything in it.
Unfortunately, that ain't so.
HTH to calm your shredder fever ;-)

Old 21-02-2012, 12:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On 20 Feb 2012 11:09:56 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

For those that notice such things - I'm changing my
Usenet provider to News.Individual.NET. It's still me!

You will never regret that. They are brilliant. However they are more than
not keen on you using an invalid address (and IIRC they say they will
terminate you if you do)
How did you get round this?
I get round it by having my usenet address drop into a spam folder on
webmail that I only check occasionally.

Old 21-02-2012, 10:24 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:54:05 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
.. .
On 20 Feb 2012 11:09:56 GMT, "AL_n" wrote:

For those that notice such things - I'm changing my
Usenet provider to News.Individual.NET. It's still me!

You will never regret that. They are brilliant. However they are more than
not keen on you using an invalid address (and IIRC they say they will
terminate you if you do)
How did you get round this?
I get round it by having my usenet address drop into a spam folder on
webmail that I only check occasionally.

I'm amazed at the speed of data transfer with NIN compared to big
commercial providers such as Giganews.

As to the reply address, NIN's FAQ suggests the .invalid option:

5.3
May I mangle my "From:" header address so that I do not get spam?

We recommend creating a special e-mail address for use with Usenet
articles only and protecting it with suitable filtering rules. This
way your regular mailbox will stay untroubled, but you can still
receive e-mail responses to your Usenet articles.

Another option is using the Top Level Domain ".invalid" (see RFC
2606). The Top Level Domain ".invalid" is intended for construction of
obviously invalid addresses like ". Such
addresses do not disturb and pollute regular name space and can easily
be identified as invalid by both humans and machines.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Old 21-02-2012, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Dave Hill wrote in news:7c63d273-16ec-4584-
:

It's one thing to put compost through your shredder but DON@T put soil
that may contain stones, they can be spat out at great speed.
Dangerous

Thanks... Yes, I have been very careful about that. I was mostly concerned
about damaging the machine. In particular, when putting seaweed through it,
, seaweed sometimes has small pebbles attached.

Al

Old 21-02-2012, 11:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

What sort is yours? Maybe a bit more industrial than mine?

http://tinyurl.com/7z9duvg

It is 2400w, which seems very powerful. No matter what I put through it, it
doesn't show any signs of labouring - even when chipping 35mm branches, or
gnawing through cloggy greenery. I have not had a single jam yet, so I'm
very happy with it. I had a feeling it was going to be a good machine as
soon as I saw the quality of the cable. They certainly didn't skimp on
that. It is very thick, and very long and doesn't kink.

Al
Old 21-02-2012, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

What sort is yours? Maybe a bit more industrial than mine?

http://tinyurl.com/7z9duvg

It is 2400w, which seems very powerful. No matter what I put through it,
it
doesn't show any signs of labouring - even when chipping 35mm branches, or
gnawing through cloggy greenery. I have not had a single jam yet, so I'm
very happy with it. I had a feeling it was going to be a good machine as
soon as I saw the quality of the cable. They certainly didn't skimp on
that. It is very thick, and very long and doesn't kink.

Al

That looks a beauty. And it looks as if you can get a wheelbarrow under the
shute!!

Mike

Old 21-02-2012, 11:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in
:

That looks a beauty. And it looks as if you can get a wheelbarrow
under the shute!!

Not quite. I use a large bucket. Having the base of the container low (at
ground level) means the outlet doesn't get blocked by the pile of
chippings/shreddings.

Al

Old 23-02-2012, 02:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in message
"Christina Websell" wrote in
:

What sort is yours? Maybe a bit more industrial than mine?

http://tinyurl.com/7z9duvg

It is 2400w, which seems very powerful. No matter what I put through it,
it
doesn't show any signs of labouring - even when chipping 35mm branches, or
gnawing through cloggy greenery. I have not had a single jam yet, so I'm
very happy with it. I had a feeling it was going to be a good machine as
soon as I saw the quality of the cable. They certainly didn't skimp on
that. It is very thick, and very long and doesn't kink.

Al

Don't test it too much. Trust me on this.

Old 23-02-2012, 09:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" wrote in message
On Tue, 21 Feb 2012 00:54:05 -0000, "Christina Websell"
wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

They've obviously changed their policy since I joined them many moons ago
when my ISP dumped usenet.
I have always been very pleased with their service, well worth 10
euros/year.

Old 25-02-2012, 03:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
I use one of these http://tinyurl.com/82gelt2 although I can't believe
the price and probably wouldn't buy one now (I paid around £15 when I
bought mine many years ago).

But it's only 32 pounds from
http://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-357480/clarke-crs400.html
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 25-02-2012, 03:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Feb 25, 3:05*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Jake
writes

I use one of thesehttp://tinyurl.com/82gelt2although I can't believe
the price and probably wouldn't buy one now (I paid around £15 when I
bought mine many years ago).

* *But it's only 32 pounds fromhttp://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-357480/clarke-crs400.html
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Machine Mart have them at £26.99ex. VAT £32.39inc.VAT if you have one
local to you
Old 25-02-2012, 04:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 25 Feb 2012 07:35:07 -0800 (PST), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Feb 25, 3:05*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Jake
writes

I use one of thesehttp://tinyurl.com/82gelt2although I can't believe
the price and probably wouldn't buy one now (I paid around £15 when I
bought mine many years ago).

* *But it's only 32 pounds fromhttp://www.tool-net.co.uk/p-357480/clarke-crs400.html
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

Machine Mart have them at £26.99ex. VAT £32.39inc.VAT if you have one
local to you

At those prices I would buy one today if I didn't already have one. It
really does the job with a lot less effort.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.
Old 25-02-2012, 04:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote:

At those prices I would buy one today if I didn't already have one. It
really does the job with a lot less effort.

It looks like an overgrown food mill....and probably what I need, now that
I'm getting into the greenhouse thing and too economical to pay for the
pre-made potting mix. Will have to see what there is on the left side of
the pond...

MTD 5hp Chipper/Shredder - Chipper blade removal ?? good-boy United Kingdom 0 06-08-2006 04:50 PM
introduced new plant"wow" gerald Ponds (alternative) 1 19-06-2006 09:47 PM
ADV: fun new pond fish items. [email protected] Ponds 4 10-11-2005 06:54 AM
Wow. Just WOW. Lilly Ponds 17 24-07-2005 06:17 PM
This new pond is more darned fun!! pixi Ponds 9 28-05-2004 03:07 AM