GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   National bird box week? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202361-national-bird-box-week.html)

mogga 20-02-2012 10:02 AM

National bird box week?

Did you know it had been *until tomorrow anyway* National bird box
week?

I watched hardly any news all last week so didn't see it anywhere.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Janet 20-02-2012 11:50 AM

National bird box week?

In article ,
says...

Did you know it had been *until tomorrow anyway* National bird box
week?

No, but the bluetits here must have heard.. they were in and out of
ours all day yesterday.

Janet

Jake 21-02-2012 06:21 PM

National bird box week?

On Mon, 20 Feb 2012 11:50:50 -0000, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

Did you know it had been *until tomorrow anyway* National bird box
week?

No, but the bluetits here must have heard.. they were in and out of
ours all day yesterday.

Janet

Don't forget that national birdbox week (which just precedes the start
of egg laying) is followed by "national watch your language fella"
month. As the female birds visiting the garden grow in stature to
accommodate the eggs inside them, we gents must remember that if we
are observing the bird table out back or (particularly) the tree in
the front garden, we must studiously avoid using phrases like "Look at
the size of those tits!".

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

I'm having a panic - noticed some water in the pond
in between the frog spawn.

Christina Websell 23-02-2012 09:07 PM

National bird box week?

"mogga" wrote in message
Did you know it had been *until tomorrow anyway* National bird box
week?

I watched hardly any news all last week so didn't see it anywhere.
--

No, it's not been publicised. However if anyone is thinking of putting a
nest box up for the first time, February is the time to do it.

kay 25-02-2012 08:53 AM

Most of the advice I've seen is to put it up a few months in advance of the breeding season to allow birds time to get used to it being in their landscape. February seems rather a longtime in advance --- unless they're really going to use it the instant it's up?

Janet 27-02-2012 05:57 PM

National bird box week?

In article , kay.9be53d6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Christina Websell;951833 Wrote:
"mogga" wrote in message
...-
Did you know it had been *until tomorrow anyway* National bird box
week?

I watched hardly any news all last week so didn't see it anywhere.
-- -

No, it's not been publicised. However if anyone is thinking of putting
nest box up for the first time, February is the time to do it.

Most of the advice I've seen is to put it up a few months in advance of
the breeding season to allow birds time to get used to it being in their
landscape. February seems rather a longtime in advance --- unless
they're really going to use it the instant it's up?

In January J put up a birdbox for a friend who is temportarily disabled,
and called her out to have a look at where he'd sited it. By the time she
hobbled across her garden .. maybe 10 mins.. blue tits were in and out of
it.

Janet

Christina Websell 29-02-2012 08:32 PM

National bird box week?

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;951833 Wrote:
"mogga" wrote in message
...-
Did you know it had been *until tomorrow anyway* National bird box
week?

I watched hardly any news all last week so didn't see it anywhere.
-- -

No, it's not been publicised. However if anyone is thinking of putting
nest box up for the first time, February is the time to do it.

Most of the advice I've seen is to put it up a few months in advance of
the breeding season to allow birds time to get used to it being in their
landscape. February seems rather a longtime in advance --- unless
they're really going to use it the instant it's up?

February *is" a few months in advance of the breeding season. You might
have to trust me on this.
Put your new boxes up in February.