Old 22-02-2012, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default small chain saw

wrote in message ...
In article
,
Dave Hill wrote:

I wouls say try a Good hand saw first, I've always gone for Sandvik
they are in a class of their own, it's like a knife through butter,
but it looks as if they now sell as Bahco.

Yes, but that's the blades you are talking about, and they will
fit almost all bowsaws. I agree about them, incidentally.

I'd lash out around =A315.00 for one of their smaller bow saws (Some
good offers on Amazon

I wouldn't. I would get the largest you are comfortable handling,
as the effort goes down disproportionately with length. I use a
30", and would buy a 36" if I had much sawing to do. My experience
of 24" saws is that they are twice as tiring to use as a 30" on
anything above 6" diameter.

Bull Grey's posting is the point - the effort comes in changing
direction (and, worse, bumping into the end). You get a lot more
cut per movement with a longer saw.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

You and I are very close in this - also on the typewriter :-)

Bill

Old 22-02-2012, 05:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 21/02/2012 18:03, Janet Tweedy wrote:

Can anyone recommend a small chainsaw for light work. Not to cut tree
trunks but heavier branches that are pruned and so on so i can use them
for the fire/ Sawing manually on a saw horse is definitely tiring if not
exhausting!!

An electric chainsaw would be the better bet for what you want. Although,
as others have said, chainsaws are hazardous tools at best and require a
fair bit of maintenance - but less so with an electric one. I use both
types quite a lot, and I can tell you that using any type of chainsaw for
a spell is fairly tiring too. So, unless you have a large amount of logs
to saw, a good (and sharp) bow saw has many advantages.

If your intended use is near a convenient electrical mains supply then go
foc an electric chainsaw - so much less fuss than getting and storing
petrol.

I cut down 9 x 30' high Cupressus leylandii(sp) and cut them up with my
electric chain saw. The required length of cable in my case was a bit of a
chore, but should be OK for your case from what you say.

Bill

ill

Old 22-02-2012, 05:29 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Jake
writes
For about
£170 you get a pole pruner (chainsaw sort of thing), hedge trimmer,
brush cutter and strimmer.

But from what I've seen and tried not much quality at that price. I
liked the stihl version of that but they were several times more
expensive and justifiably so.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 22-02-2012, 05:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
, Dave
Hill writes
I've always gone for Sandvik
they are in a class of their own, it's like a knife through butter,
but it looks as if they now sell as Bahco.

Oh yes mine is also Sandvik, good quality as you say. Still takes
forever to cut through an old wooden cot someone gave me to use on the
fire!!

Old 22-02-2012, 05:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bill Grey
writes
There are serious safety concerns to be considered with chain saw use. I do
not wish to be patronising, but I strongly recommend you consider your
personal ability to use a chainsaw safely before getting one, however small.
I was involved in giving safety filmshows to forestry workers in the use of
chainsaws, and some of the injuries shown were both frightening and
surprisingly easy to incur.

As i posted a couple of months ago, i was quite prepared to go on a day
course to learn how to use one simply.

However the courses I found on the Internet were for aborists and
involved learning to climb trees, where to prune, maintenance of heavy
power tools as well!!

They also cost umpteen amounts of money ..........

Nothing for using a small one to chop up pruned branches etc.

Old 22-02-2012, 06:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 22, 1:13*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , writes

You have probably heard this before but, if you find manual sawing
difficult, you do not have the strength to use a chainsaw safely.

Oh I can saw well enough but currently i have three 4ft high piles of
very large logs in the garden from an oak, a mulberry an apple and a
silver Birch and the thought of sawing by hand, umpteen logs is a bit
daunting timewise, I need to cut them to about 12 inches long.

It looks soooo much easier slicing through them with an saw. Too thick
for my stihl hedgecutter though.

--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraphhttp://www.lancedal.demon.co.uk

You'll be fine with an electric chainsaw, Not B&D but most of the
others mentioned + Makita are good. Sharpening isn't rocket science -
just read the instruction booklet and practice. Time spent sharpening
is never wasted, you can waste no end of time cutting with a dull
chain. I think by now you're grown up enough to read safety
instructions and see the potential for serious damage. It's been a
long time since I used an electric saw so I don't know if they are
fitted with chain brakes as all petrol saws are. If that is the case
don't buy one without - even a little saw can kick back and do serious
damage and the brake lessens the risk of injury.

Rod
Old 22-02-2012, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 22/02/2012 18:19, Rod wrote:
On Feb 22, 1:13 pm, Janet wrote:
In , writes

[...]

Fairly sound advice (and all the electric saws I have seen and used have
chain brakes). I would add one important point on safety, if I may, and
that is to check the chain tension regularly and adjust if loose. A
badly tensioned chain is a definite safety hazard.

Old 22-02-2012, 07:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Nick said:

Sigh. Even if you didn't need the same muscles to control a chainsaw
SAFELY, it is EXTREMELY rare to have a few arm muscles very weak and
the rest quite strong. What I said is correct, unfortunately :-(

Well Nick I sympathise, but I disagree. I've been cutting wood up data
protection alert for 40 years now. The chainsaw is heavier to pick up
than the bowsaw, but by golly it's easier to use! Different physiques
.... or perhaps you know something which I have yet to find out, further
down the line. :-(

And Emery said...

I'm with Nick on this one. Chainsawing is plain hard work. For tree
pruning I get a better cut, and a safer one, with a bowsaw. ..... etc.

I agree, if you're pruning trees Emery. However as she has said, Janet
is faced with a large piles of logs to saw up into foot-lengths.

Furthermore, although several people have mentioned petrol saws, the
main recommendation is for an electric one -- which is lighter, far,
*far* easier to use, and less intimidating than a petrol one.

And finally, in answer to Janet's most recent question: my own saw is a
Bosch AKE 35 S, which I think cost me about £70 about 5 years ago, at B
and Q (where of course I was able to have a good look at it before
buying). I see they don't make this model any more (surprise), but pop
into B&Q and see what they have - be careful to buy a make approved by
this group though!

Finally finally: I bought one because my mate had raved about his: he
lent me it, and (having used a petrol saw before) I was sold within 20
seconds!

John
Old 22-02-2012, 07:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Farmer Giles wrote:

...I would add one important point on safety, if I may, and
that is to check the chain tension regularly and adjust if loose. A
badly tensioned chain is a definite safety hazard.

Very good point! This is very easily checked, and corrected, on mine: I
check it constantly whilst sawing, and occasionally have to correct it.

John

Old 22-02-2012, 08:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
[...]

I can see there would be a problem with a full 9 yards course, not really
necessary for us gardeners.

A basic "how to use" and safety course would be fine.

Bill

Old 22-02-2012, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rod" wrote in message
[...]

My electric chain saw does have a kick-back brake.

Bill

Old 22-02-2012, 09:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Another John writes
I agree, if you're pruning trees Emery. However as she has said, Janet
is faced with a large piles of logs to saw up into foot-lengths.

Actually they are less like logs and more like thickish branches with
the twigs still on in places!!
Old 22-02-2012, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
In article , writes
I take your point about the length of time involved - I had to
guess at how wide and packed those piles were and may have guessed
wrong. But I can assure you that it is NOT as much faster to use
a chainsaw than it appears, if you are inexperienced or weakish
(as I am), because you dare not get even slightly tired when using
a chainsaw.

Oh right, well thank you for your answers i take your points very
seriously. Wouldn't use anything if i didn't think i was competent which
is one reason why i don't like the long armed hedge cutters. They are
balanced for people much taller than 5' 4"

A friend has something called an alligator which might be useful if they
can find it in their garage ! It's kind of like two sets of teeth that you
clamp round and cut medium thick stuff
--

I have just recently replaced a rather old B&Q electric chainsaw with an
Aldi cheapy. It came with 3 years warranty so if it only lasts that long its

Mike

Old 23-02-2012, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 22, 7:18*pm, Another John wrote:
Nick said:

[...]

B&Q is selling Bosch electric chainsaws at a reduced price right now.