Old 23-02-2012, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
CT CT is offline

Default What to plant on North side of fence

We've just had a new fence put in along the back of our South facing
garden, and the border along our side of the fence needs replanting.

Obviously this gets little sun (sometimed a bit in the mornings, but
only from late spring onwards) and then it's shaded for the rest of the
day - there is a neighbour's garage to the West, that causes a lot of
shade.

What kind of easy-maintenance plants should we think about putting in?
Any flowers, climbers, shrubs etc. would be considered.

The top-soil is good but on a bed of clay and slightly alkaline I think
(the Hydrangeas are pink!), if that makes a difference.

--
Chris
Old 23-02-2012, 10:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/02/2012 09:28, CT wrote:
We've just had a new fence put in along the back of our South facing
garden, and the border along our side of the fence needs replanting.

Obviously this gets little sun (sometimed a bit in the mornings, but
only from late spring onwards) and then it's shaded for the rest of the
day - there is a neighbour's garage to the West, that causes a lot of
shade.

What kind of easy-maintenance plants should we think about putting in?
Any flowers, climbers, shrubs etc. would be considered.

The top-soil is good but on a bed of clay and slightly alkaline I think
(the Hydrangeas are pink!), if that makes a difference.

Hydrangea petiolaris grows very well climbing on north facing walls -
though it is a slow grower until it gets established.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Plant Screening for North Facing Fence TheScullster United Kingdom 4 14-02-2008 08:56 AM
Flowers: side by side mea305 Gardening 1 10-01-2007 02:23 PM
south side of a solo tree in open field is the best side Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 2 15-05-2003 02:20 PM
North side of house - insane plants? Cereoid+10 Gardening 8 07-02-2003 07:59 AM
North side of house Allview Gardening 8 06-02-2003 06:53 AM