GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   turf for small garden (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202401-turf-small-garden.html)

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 24-02-2012 09:39 PM

turf for small garden

My niece lives in Sussex not far from Brighton so a chalky soil, she has
a fairly small garden and a brand new house. The garden goes down to a
point and is probably no more than 16 meters long might even be 12 - 14
meters.

They have two year old twin girls and have decided they want turf on
their garden, so the girls can play out there.

I would go for seed but I guess they want an instant effect.

I even suggested Astroturf as I had heard some good things about the
newer types especially for small areas that are going to get a lot of
wear and tear.

They still want turf but what should i advise them to look out for ?
I am aware that they can easily be conned and given poor quality stuff!
--
Janet Tweedy

Baz[_4_] 25-02-2012 11:39 AM

turf for small garden

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:

My niece lives in Sussex not far from Brighton so a chalky soil, she has
a fairly small garden and a brand new house. The garden goes down to a
point and is probably no more than 16 meters long might even be 12 - 14
meters.

They have two year old twin girls and have decided they want turf on
their garden, so the girls can play out there.

I would go for seed but I guess they want an instant effect.

I even suggested Astroturf as I had heard some good things about the
newer types especially for small areas that are going to get a lot of
wear and tear.

They still want turf but what should i advise them to look out for ?
I am aware that they can easily be conned and given poor quality stuff!

Yout local builders merchant will supply you with top quality turf. You
will find them helpful. I am sure that they will ask what purpose it is
intended for, but if they don't, ask for an arena drought resistant type,
or even general purpose. Both will suit your particular needs.
You could go to B&Q but you will pay a lot more and have limited choices of
the type of turf you need.
Your family will never be conned if you choose the two options above.

Hope this helps.
Baz

Dave Hill 25-02-2012 03:39 PM

turf for small garden

On Feb 24, 9:39*pm, Janet Tweedy wrote:
My niece lives in Sussex not far from Brighton so a chalky soil, she has
a fairly small *garden and a brand new house. The garden goes down to a
point and is probably no more than 16 meters long might even be 12 - 14
meters.

They have two year old twin girls and have decided they want turf on
their garden, so the girls can play out there.

I would go for seed but I guess they want an instant effect.

I even suggested Astroturf as I had heard some good things about the
newer types especially for small areas that are going to get a lot of
wear and tear.

They still want turf but what should i advise them to look out for ?
I am aware that they can easily be conned and given poor quality stuff!
--
Janet Tweedy

I'd try local Yellow pages for turf suppliers, you should find someone
local

pied piper[_2_] 28-02-2012 10:37 AM

turf for small garden

If you are that concerned go and do the job for them