GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Print inks in compost (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202445-print-inks-compost.html)

Vegegrower 28-02-2012 08:25 PM

Print inks in compost

From what I've read, this is feasible so I assume that inks used in modern paper/card printing and colouring are non-toxic.

I do add unprinted on cardboard to my compost for carbon content but to date, nothing printed on has gone in.

Pete C[_3_] 29-02-2012 01:50 PM

Print inks in compost

"Chris Hogg" wrote in message
On Tue, 28 Feb 2012 20:25:21 +0000, Vegegrower
wrote:

From what I've read, this is feasible so I assume that inks used in
modern paper/card printing and colouring are non-toxic.

That is my understanding. Decades ago, it was not the case, all sorts
of heavy-metal-based pigments and dyes were used, but not these days.
There's too much chance of the dyes coming into contact with
foodstuffs, or young kiddies chewing on Mum's edition of Hello
Magazine, for the printers to risk using toxic pigments and then being
sued under H&S regulations, let alone the risks to the print workers
who have to handle the dyes on a daily basis.

Having just retired from a lifetime in the print trade, I'd suggest no
coloured ink or glossy paper. There are special vegetable based inks for use
in the food trade.
Pete C

Vegegrower 29-02-2012 05:03 PM

IE
"Having just retired from a lifetime in the print trade, I'd suggest no
coloured ink or glossy paper. There are special vegetable based inks for use
in the food trade."

So this is NO to magazines and old photos and YES to the likes of any cereal boxes?

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 29-02-2012 06:23 PM

Print inks in compost

In article , Pete C
writes
Having just retired from a lifetime in the print trade, I'd suggest no
coloured ink or glossy paper. There are special vegetable based inks for use
in the food trade.
Pete C

Oh nice to see a fellow printer :)

I was going to suggest the same, also varnished paper might be a
problem breaking down I assume?
Think coloured board (not printed colour) might be okay.

The edible inks for printing onto icing are very much more 'runny' than
ordinary inks
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Pete C[_3_] 01-03-2012 09:35 AM

Print inks in compost

"Vegegrower" wrote in message
IE
"Having just retired from a lifetime in the print trade, I'd suggest no

coloured ink or glossy paper. There are special vegetable based inks for
use
in the food trade."

So this is NO to magazines and old photos and YES to the likes of any
cereal boxes?

I'd go with that
Pete C