GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   why no sprouting on my Purple sprouting? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202467-why-no-sprouting-my-purple-sprouting.html)

Moonraker 01-03-2012 03:31 PM

why no sprouting on my Purple sprouting?

There is no sign of any "sprouting" on my purple sprouting broccoli, I
had none last year, can anyone suggest why? I suspect it will be too
late for this year, but maybe, with help, I can get a decent crop next year.

gogo[_3_] 01-03-2012 04:08 PM

On 01/03/2012 15:31, Moonraker wrote:
There is no sign of any "sprouting" on my purple sprouting broccoli, I
had none last year, can anyone suggest why? I suspect it will be too
late for this year, but maybe, with help, I can get a decent crop next
year.

Hi,

Mine behaved very strangely this time. It's been their second winter in
the soil, without any sprouting last year. This year I *think* I see
some sprouting....

hugh 01-03-2012 10:08 PM

why no sprouting on my Purple sprouting?

In message , Moonraker
writes
There is no sign of any "sprouting" on my purple sprouting broccoli, I
had none last year, can anyone suggest why? I suspect it will be too
late for this year, but maybe, with help, I can get a decent crop next
year.

Me too. Earlier ones were OK but now only very sort little sprouts at
the stem.
Too hot/cold, wet/dry acid/alkaline, no doubt.
--
hugh

Jim Jackson 05-03-2012 10:53 PM

On 2012-03-01, Moonraker wrote:
There is no sign of any "sprouting" on my purple sprouting broccoli, I
had none last year, can anyone suggest why? I suspect it will be too
late for this year, but maybe, with help, I can get a decent crop next year.

No sign at all?
Maybe you sowed late purple sprouting. Up here in Wakefield we tend not to
get it until late March/April - depending on variety (early or late).