GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202596-any-tips-preventing-hozelok-connectors-coming-off-hose-under-pressure.html)

Jim xzy 12-03-2012 05:41 PM

Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

Does anyone have any easy way of preventing Hozelock fittings from coming
loose under pressure? OK, it's possible that I am not using genuine
Hozelock fittings or hoses, but they are supposed to be compatible. The
fittings often come loose after a while when under pressure. That is to
say, the hose gets forced free of the connector. (I'm not talking about the
male and female parts of a connector coming apart.) Not sure if it's the
fault of the connectors or the hose, but if anyone has a method of keeping
them on (short of buying new hose and fittings), perhaps you could
advise...

TIA

Jim

'Mike'[_4_] 12-03-2012 05:55 PM

Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

"Jim xzy" wrote in message
. 4.11...
Does anyone have any easy way of preventing Hozelock fittings from coming
loose under pressure? OK, it's possible that I am not using genuine
Hozelock fittings or hoses, but they are supposed to be compatible. The
fittings often come loose after a while when under pressure. That is to
say, the hose gets forced free of the connector. (I'm not talking about
the
male and female parts of a connector coming apart.) Not sure if it's the
fault of the connectors or the hose, but if anyone has a method of keeping
them on (short of buying new hose and fittings), perhaps you could
advise...

TIA

Jim

One word ""supposed"".

I have found that only like for like fittings/hoses are 100% compatible.

However it does help to make connections when hoses and fittings are warm,
BUT, even like for like fittings will blow apart if kept under mains
pressure and left in the sun.

I was thinking of making my own solar hot water system and snaked a very
long Hozelock hose down our small garden, which because it is small is a sun
trap. Filled it to mains pressure and left it. Not long before it blew
apart.

Didn't bother with the solar heating system and ALWAYS, note ALWAYS, take
mains pressure off the hose assembly.

Mike

Jake 12-03-2012 06:03 PM

On 12 Mar 2012 17:41:34 GMT, Jim xzy wrote:

Does anyone have any easy way of preventing Hozelock fittings from coming
loose under pressure? OK, it's possible that I am not using genuine
Hozelock fittings or hoses, but they are supposed to be compatible. The
fittings often come loose after a while when under pressure. That is to
say, the hose gets forced free of the connector. (I'm not talking about the
male and female parts of a connector coming apart.) Not sure if it's the
fault of the connectors or the hose, but if anyone has a method of keeping
them on (short of buying new hose and fittings), perhaps you could
advise...

TIA

Jim

In 30-odd years I've encountered the occasional male-female separation
when one or other part wears but I've never had the connector actually
separate from the hose. Do you have exceptionally high water pressure
(lucky you if you do)?

Pressure aside, you may have inferior quality fittings or hose. You
will know if that applies. Alternatively you may have a non-standard
fitting or hose. All the decent Hozelock-type fittings assume a
standard hose diameter both inside and out but not all hoses are the
same. If the internal diameter is bigger than standard then the hose
will compress in the fitting and come away. If the outer diameter is
less than normal then the compression fitting may not bite. Some hoses
I have come across have an exceptionally hard outer wall and the
plastic teeth in the fitting may not be able to penetrate into that to
get a grip. In other cases, the outer wall is too soft - you can't win
sometimes!

Have a look at a hose end that has separated and see if you can see
clear teeth marks in it from the compression fitting. If you cannot
then either or both of the hose and/or fittings need to be replaced.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling happily from the dryer end of Swansea Bay.

Bill Grey 12-03-2012 07:01 PM

"Jake" wrote in message
[...]

Make absolutely sure you have inserted the hose end fully into the
connector. If it is a very tight fit, soak the hose end in hot water for a
short while then try pushng it fully onto the connector. Tighten the
connector ring as tight as you can by hand.

I've never had a connector come off the hose.

Bill

[email protected] 12-03-2012 07:37 PM

Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

In message
"Bill Grey" wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Sometimes it's advisable to cut an inch or so off the end
of the hose because the hose over time will stretch and hot water
as you say does help force the hose over a connector.

Stephen.

--
http://www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk
From the Wirral Peninsula.

Jim xzy 12-03-2012 08:13 PM

wrote in :

Sometimes it's advisable to cut an inch or so off the end
of the hose because the hose over time will stretch and hot water
as you say does help force the hose over a connector.

Stephen.

That's what I do. Then, before long, the hose seems to get stretched where
it pushes onto the back end of the connector, and then comes loose. I do
suspect that my hose is at fault (being a cheap imitation of the proper
Hozelock item, but possibly not a big enough OD. (It looks the same - dark
green with the criss-cross reinforcement fibres.) I was just hoping someone
might know some clever trick to prevent they above hose-coming-loose
syndrome. There seems to be some clever old-timer (or otherwise) trick, to
overcome most garden SNAFUs!

Jim

Jim xzy 12-03-2012 08:17 PM

Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

Jake wrote in
:

o you have exceptionally high water pressure
(lucky you if you do)?

No - it's about 2bar, i.e., average. And I never have the tap turned full-
on either.

Pressure aside, you may have inferior quality fittings or hose. You
will know if that applies. Alternatively you may have a non-standard
fitting or hose

I think it's the hose. It ooks like the Hozelock type (dark green, with
criss-cross reinforcement, but the OD may be less than ideal. I don't think
the teeth on the fittings are getting a proper purchase.

Jim

Bill Grey 12-03-2012 10:35 PM

Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

wrote in message
In message
"Bill Grey" wrote:

"Jake" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes it's always best to cut off an inch or so to have a clean new bit of
hose to work with.

Bill

Bill Grey 12-03-2012 10:36 PM

Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

"Jim xzy" wrote in message
. 4.11...
Jake wrote in
:

o you have exceptionally high water pressure
(lucky you if you do)?

No - it's about 2bar, i.e., average. And I never have the tap turned full-
on either.

Pressure aside, you may have inferior quality fittings or hose. You
will know if that applies. Alternatively you may have a non-standard
fitting or hose

I think it's the hose. It ooks like the Hozelock type (dark green, with
criss-cross reinforcement, but the OD may be less than ideal. I don't
think
the teeth on the fittings are getting a proper purchase.

Jim

My hose looks just like yours but I've has no trouble with it. It may well
be your hose then.

Bill

Doghouse Riley 12-03-2012 11:50 PM

There's been some very helpful advice given freely here.

There are I'm sure, many experts who'd charge a fortune to cure the problem of "premature separation."

harry 13-03-2012 08:53 AM

On Mar 12, 5:41*pm, Jim xzy wrote:
Does anyone have any easy way of preventing Hozelock fittings from coming
loose under pressure? OK, it's possible that I am not using genuine
Hozelock fittings or hoses, but they are supposed to be compatible. The
fittings often come loose after a while when under pressure. That is to
say, the hose gets forced free of the connector. (I'm not talking about the
male and female parts of a connector coming apart.) Not sure if it's the
fault of the connectors or the hose, but if anyone has a method of keeping
them on (short of buying new hose and fittings), perhaps you could
advise...

TIA

Jim

A lot are not compatable/farfromit though they look superficiially
similar.
After a while they wear and will leak/blow off anyway.. Get the brass
ones or just buy new.

Dave Liquorice[_3_] 13-03-2012 08:55 AM

Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

On 12 Mar 2012 17:41:34 GMT, Jim xzy wrote:

The fittings often come loose after a while when under pressure. That is
to say, the hose gets forced free of the connector. (I'm not talking
about the male and female parts of a connector coming apart.)

Can't say I've ever had that and to be honest I'm rather surprised
that they can blow apart there are the moderate water pressure you
say you have.

I wonder if it is an assembly error? The hose side of these
connectors is not "push fit". You should unscrew the collar
completely and thread it onto the hose then push the hose fully onto
the back of the connector, right over the raised lip, then slide and
screw up firmly the collar.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Jim xzy 13-03-2012 10:28 AM

Any tips for preventing hozelok connectors coming off the hose, under pressure?

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in
ll.co.uk:

I wonder if it is an assembly error? The hose side of these
connectors is not "push fit". You should unscrew the collar
completely and thread it onto the hose then push the hose fully onto
the back of the connector, right over the raised lip, then slide and
screw up firmly the collar.

Yes, I realise that. I think the problem with my hose is that the plastic
is not thick enough, which causes two problems:

(a) it stretches too easily
and
(b) the teeth on the fittings don't get a good purchase.

At the end of the day, I may have to bite the bullet and buy a non-
cheapskate hose! That's an expense I'd have liked to avoid, cos I need
about 30 metres of the stuff to reach the furthermost nether-regions...

I learned one lesson though: don't buy Hozelock-lookalike hoses from Aldi,
no matter how tempting the price! They also spring leaks very easily.

Actually, this hose is about the third one I've had bad luck with and the
other two were purchased from somewhere else.

Can anyone recommend a make of hose that will not give these kind of
problems, and doesn't cost a king's ransom?

Jim

Dave Liquorice[_3_] 13-03-2012 10:50 AM

On 13 Mar 2012 10:28:49 GMT, Jim xzy wrote:

Can anyone recommend a make of hose that will not give these kind of
problems, and doesn't cost a king's ransom?

Take a look in Wickes, I bought 30m of yellow hose in the last year
or so from there. IIRC they had good prices for decent hose compared
to the other sheds.

Heavy duty yellow 30m £21.99:
http://www.wickes.co.uk/red-plastic-...s/invt/158414/

Cheaper green stuff 30m £12.48
http://www.wickes.co.uk/red-plastic-...s/invt/158411/

--
Cheers
Dave.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 13-03-2012 10:56 AM

On 12/03/2012 17:41, Jim xzy wrote:
Does anyone have any easy way of preventing Hozelock fittings from coming
loose under pressure? OK, it's possible that I am not using genuine
Hozelock fittings or hoses, but they are supposed to be compatible. The
fittings often come loose after a while when under pressure. That is to
say, the hose gets forced free of the connector. (I'm not talking about the
male and female parts of a connector coming apart.) Not sure if it's the
fault of the connectors or the hose, but if anyone has a method of keeping
them on (short of buying new hose and fittings), perhaps you could
advise...

Apart from cutting off an inch or so off the hose as recommended by
others, I have also wrapped a layer or two of insulating tape around the
fitting to increase its diameter a fraction. You'll know when you've got
enough tape on - if too much is wrapped round, you can't get the hose on
at all.

--

Jeff