GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Hose Pipe Ban (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202606-hose-pipe-ban.html)

'Mike'[_4_] 12-03-2012 10:35 PM

Hose Pipe Ban

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...122917413.html

How will you get round it?

Mike

harry 13-03-2012 08:56 AM

Hose Pipe Ban

On Mar 12, 10:35*pm, "'Mike'" wrote:
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/water-firms...e-bans-1229174...

How will you get round it?

Mike

I'm an Angel, honest ! The horns are there just to keep the halo straight..

Go down to your local scrappie and see what containers could be used
for storage they have.

echinosum 13-03-2012 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] (Post 953233)

Last time we had the hosepipe bans, 2003, there was insufficient rain to refill my waterbutts from early April to late October. By late April I had used the water in the butts, and that was that. Nearby places had a few thundery downpours, enough to recharge their waterbutts a few times, enough even to flood the streets just 3-4 miles away, but they all by chance missed us, or graced us with only a light shower. I started to think I was living in a special local micro-climate that tended to miss the downpours, but I now realise it was random chance pure and simple.

What I did last time was run water from a tap into a storage container, and then carried the water from the container in watering cans to things needing watering in the garden. I could have just just run the water into the watering cans, but going via a storage container I could keep the tap running continuously and cut out the refill waiting time. I checked, and this is perfectly legal. My sole aim was to keep expensive and long-lived plants alive, not get a crop of vegetables or keep a lawn green. We have a metered supply, and our water usage, even including garden watering, is rather below average for a household of our size, so I don't feel in the least guilty about it.

seanlade 20-03-2012 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Mike'[_4_] (Post 953233)
Water Shortage: Hosepipe Bans Announced - Yahoo! News UK

How will you get round it?

Mike

Hi Mike, I will be using a href="http://www.easywatering.co.uk/acatalog/Hosepipe_Ban_Information_Drip_Irrigation.html"eas ywatering/a to get a drip irrigation system. Give the guys a ring and they can help determine your requirements to get past the hosepipe ban.

seanlade 20-03-2012 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seanlade (Post 953790)

Sorry, link didn't work, not very good at this. The guys web address is http://http://www.easywatering.co.uk...rrigation.html. As I was saying though, these guys are offering drip irrigation systems, one of the methods not currently being restricted under the hosepipe ban.