GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   My neighbours big plum tree. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/20268-my-neighbours-big-plum-tree.html)

dommy 03-05-2003 05:42 PM

My neighbours big plum tree.

Hello again everybody. My neighbour has a plum tree which produces green plums. It is fairly high. However in the past two years i have been getting little plants popping out everywhere in my garden and i think they could be the plum tree sending out runners. Is this possible.

When i tried to pull them out, i had to struggle as the are really woody even though they are only about a foot high. I was just wondering if it could be her tree.

Thanks in advance.:)

dommy 03-05-2003 05:43 PM

ps, they look like the leaves of her plum tree.

ned 03-05-2003 07:56 PM

My neighbours big plum tree.

dommy wrote:
Hello again everybody. My neighbour has a plum tree which produces
green plums. It is fairly high. However in the past two years i have
been getting little plants popping out everywhere in my garden and i
think they could be the plum tree sending out runners. Is this
possible.

When i tried to pull them out, i had to struggle as the are really
woody even though they are only about a foot high. I was just
wondering if it could be her tree.

More than likely.
I was quite pleased when the two mature and neglected plum trees which
we inherited, started to split in two, and justified removing them.
Left to themselves we would have ended up with a plum forest.
Pulling the suckers is no solution. Spot treatment with a brushwood
herbicide is the only way.

--
ned

dommy 03-05-2003 08:24 PM

thanks,

i think i may keep one since i havent got a plum tree. will save me from, buying one :) i dont have to ask the neighbours permission to do this do i?

bnd777 03-05-2003 11:56 PM

My neighbours big plum tree.

Yes they are plum tree suckers .......best answer is to paint them with
Glyphoshate or Root out or similar