GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Shrub ID needed please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202692-shrub-id-needed-please.html)

David56802 18-03-2012 03:56 PM

Shrub ID needed please

1 Attachment(s)
Any ideas?

lannerman 18-03-2012 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David56802 (Post 953628)
Any ideas?

Hi David, Its a 'Flowering currant bush' of the family Grossulariacae and goes by the latin name of Ribes, I think its one from the group of cultivars from the sanguineum species possibly albescens. The more common variety is know as Pulborough Scarlet and is a much deeper pink. As A child growing up in South Wales, we had a hedge of this plant and possibly it was the first plant that I ever knew by name and of course, these plants have a very distinctive 'aroma' which, like marmite you either love or hate, personally I fall into the latter group.
Lannerman.

David56802 18-03-2012 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lannerman (Post 953669)
Hi David, Its a 'Flowering currant bush' of the family Grossulariacae and goes by the latin name of Ribes, I think its one from the group of cultivars from the sanguineum species possibly albescens. The more common variety is know as Pulborough Scarlet and is a much deeper pink. As A child growing up in South Wales, we had a hedge of this plant and possibly it was the first plant that I ever knew by name and of course, these plants have a very distinctive 'aroma' which, like marmite you either love or hate, personally I fall into the latter group.
Lannerman.

Thanks very much for the ID. I can now add the labelled photo to my 'identified' folder.:)