Old 21-03-2012, 10:07 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default mmmmmmmmmmm vanilla and marzipan

That's the delicious cloud of scent wafting all around Azara
microphylla variegata this morning, from the tiny yellow flowers hidden
under every stem.

Janet
Old 21-03-2012, 01:46 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet View Post
That's the delicious cloud of scent wafting all around Azara microphylla variegata this morning, from the tiny yellow flowers hidden
under every stem.
I haven't grown Azara as I'd be abit worried about how hardy it is, and if it did thrive how big it might get. Where is this growing and how big is it?

I've seen it (unvariegated) growing in the wild in Chile, at latitude about 30S, and close to the sea, so completely frost free and very hot when the sun comes out...
Old 21-03-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2012 09:07, Janet wrote:

That's the delicious cloud of scent wafting all around Azara
microphylla variegata this morning, from the tiny yellow flowers hidden
under every stem.

Janet

Sounds lovely, Janet. I've often fancied one. Is it hardy, and do you
have to 'trap' the scent by planting near shelter or is the scent strong
enough to fight it's own battles?

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 21-03-2012, 11:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Janet writes

That's the delicious cloud of scent wafting all around Azara
microphylla variegata this morning, from the tiny yellow flowers hidden
under every stem.

Janet

Unfortunately two smells that i don't like. Now Jasmine fragrance, that
i love makes two people I know really turn their noses up!
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Old 21-03-2012, 11:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 21/03/2012 18:09, Janet wrote:
In , says...

On 21/03/2012 09:07, Janet wrote:

That's the delicious cloud of scent wafting all around Azara
microphylla variegata this morning, from the tiny yellow flowers hidden
under every stem.

Janet

Sounds lovely, Janet. I've often fancied one. Is it hardy, and do you
have to 'trap' the scent by planting near shelter or is the scent strong
enough to fight it's own battles?

We have mild winters here so it hasn't been tested very hard..the
coldest I've recorded in this garden was (briefly) -6C but that was very
unusual. Had no effect whatever on the azara. According to Hillyers,
microphylla is the hardiest sort and can take -15C. Mine is in a
(relatively, for coastal garden) wind-sheltered sunny spot and the scent
spreads for yards around. Out of flower it's an airy elegant shrub (about
9ft high atm) and has pretty evergreen foliage for flower arranging. I'd
really recommend it.
Another plant that came my way as a nameless mystery from some plant
swap or jumble sale :-)

Janet.

Thanks Janet and Sacha. I suspect we're a bit chillier up here on our
mini-mountain, but with -15deg hardiness I think it's a plant I'll have
to look at more closely. Maybe I'll take a peek at yours, Sacha, in due
course.

Thanks for mentioning it, Janet.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
gardening on clay

Butterfly ballet's, Vanilla mornings, and Summer tangles madgardener Gardening 0 28-07-2004 02:02 AM
Ping Benign Vanilla - OT - ~ jan JJsPond.us Ponds 2 06-06-2003 07:44 AM
Ping Benign Vanilla Nedra Ponds 3 02-06-2003 05:20 PM
how to make Almond Paste (Marzipan)?? SV: chocolate making Archimedes Plutonium Plant Science 0 26-04-2003 02:21 PM
Seeking Vanilla aphylla information Al Orchids 6 18-04-2003 08:08 PM