GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   plant id please (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202734-plant-id-please.html)

stuart noble 21-03-2012 02:14 PM

plant id please

I'm guessing this is a moss of some kind. Does anyone have any ideas?
It's about an inch high, and has taken up residence in just one pot
containing a hydrangea cutting. Hardly a prize specimen but fascinating
in its way

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vv9fub.jpg

Any comments appreciated as I don't know where to start with this one

Phil Gurr 21-03-2012 04:23 PM

plant id please

"stuart noble" wrote in message
I'm guessing this is a moss of some kind. Does anyone have any ideas? It's
about an inch high, and has taken up residence in just one pot containing
a hydrangea cutting. Hardly a prize specimen but fascinating in its way

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vv9fub.jpg

Any comments appreciated as I don't know where to start with this one

Almost certainly Tortula muralis, see
www.bbsfieldguide.org.uk/content/tortula-muralis a fairly common moss of
'man-made' environments

Phil

stuart noble 21-03-2012 05:50 PM

plant id please

On 21/03/2012 16:23, Phil Gurr wrote:
"stuart wrote in message
I'm guessing this is a moss of some kind. Does anyone have any ideas? It's
about an inch high, and has taken up residence in just one pot containing
a hydrangea cutting. Hardly a prize specimen but fascinating in its way

http://i39.tinypic.com/2vv9fub.jpg

Any comments appreciated as I don't know where to start with this one

Almost certainly Tortula muralis, see
www.bbsfieldguide.org.uk/content/tortula-muralis a fairly common moss of
'man-made' environments

Phil

Brilliant, thanks. Looks like a very interesting field guide too