GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Just wondering (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202787-just-wondering.html)

Moonraker 25-03-2012 06:14 PM

Just wondering

I have an extensive garden sloping down towards the South. I grow
vegetables in 6 small raised beds and 2 larger ones. Every year or so
they soil is too high, so I borrow it down to the bottom and dump it, no
problem, plenty of room. However it set me wondering how peeps with
small gardens cope with the excess?

Dave Hill 25-03-2012 06:53 PM

Just wondering

On Mar 25, 6:14*pm, Moonraker wrote:
I have an extensive garden sloping down towards the South. I grow
vegetables in 6 small raised beds and 2 larger ones. Every year or so
they soil is too high, so I borrow it down to the bottom and dump it, no
problem, plenty of room. However it set me wondering how peeps with
small gardens cope with the excess?

What do you do to build up your soil so much?

Baz[_4_] 25-03-2012 06:58 PM

Just wondering

Moonraker wrote in :

I have an extensive garden sloping down towards the South. I grow
vegetables in 6 small raised beds and 2 larger ones. Every year or so
they soil is too high, so I borrow it down to the bottom and dump it, no
problem, plenty of room. However it set me wondering how peeps with
small gardens cope with the excess?

Your extensive garden might well be better if you got rid of those
ridiculous raised beds. They serve no purpose unless you have a physical
reason. IMO.

If you want to you can compost the surplus soil in a compost heap in your
garden with grass cuttings for example for a year or so.

Baz

Derek Turner 25-03-2012 07:50 PM

Just wondering

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:58:03 +0000, Baz wrote:

Your extensive garden might well be better if you got rid of those
ridiculous raised beds. They serve no purpose unless you have a physical
reason. IMO.

MO doesn't tally with YO, so we'll have to agree to differ :)

Baz[_4_] 26-03-2012 11:43 AM

Just wondering

Derek Turner wrote in news:9t97n9Fk16U1
@mid.individual.net:

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:58:03 +0000, Baz wrote:

Your extensive garden might well be better if you got rid of those
ridiculous raised beds. They serve no purpose unless you have a physical
reason. IMO.

MO doesn't tally with YO, so we'll have to agree to differ :)

Yes, Derek,
If we were all in the same mind there would be no discussion or opinions :)

All the best.
Baz

Moonraker 26-03-2012 01:40 PM

Just wondering

On 26/03/2012 11:43, Baz wrote:
Derek wrote in news:9t97n9Fk16U1
@mid.individual.net:

On Sun, 25 Mar 2012 17:58:03 +0000, Baz wrote:

Your extensive garden might well be better if you got rid of those
ridiculous raised beds. They serve no purpose unless you have a physical
reason. IMO.

MO doesn't tally with YO, so we'll have to agree to differ :)

Yes, Derek,
If we were all in the same mind there would be no discussion or opinions :)

All the best.
Baz

I think that it mainly builds up with all the compost and horse muck
that I put on, I know it rots down somewhat, but it still adds to the
level. I use beds as the slope is great, and it is the easiest option,
plus my soil is nowt but pebbles with a bit of earth between. So from
the replies am I correct in assuming no one else gets soil build up in
raised beds?