Old 30-03-2012, 06:15 PM
Registered User

Default Pear Tree Disease

Hello All

I Have a Conference Pear tree that has some sort of silvery-grey fungal infection. Some branches have died back, but there is still some blossom on others. Does anybody recognise what it is, or what fungicides or sprays can treat it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

DonG
Attached Thumbnails
Pear Tree Disease-peartreefungus.jpg
Old 30-03-2012, 10:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"DonGiovanni" wrote

I Have a Conference Pear tree that has some sort of silvery-grey fungal
infection. Some branches have died back, but there is still some
blossom on others. Does anybody recognise what it is, or what
fungicides or sprays can treat it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

|Filename: PearTreeFungus.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14842|

Looks like Lichens to me.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 30-03-2012, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 30/03/2012 22:25, Bob Hobden wrote:
"DonGiovanni" wrote

I Have a Conference Pear tree that has some sort of silvery-grey fungal
infection. Some branches have died back, but there is still some
blossom on others. Does anybody recognise what it is, or what
fungicides or sprays can treat it?

Thanks in advance for any help.

|Filename: PearTreeFungus.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=14842|

Looks like Lichens to me.

Yes, Bob, I agree. I think they're beautiful and am always glad to see
them. I certainly don't think they're the cause of die-back on the OP's
tree. They are generally believed to be a sign of good air quality.

To the OP, I do think cutting out the dead branches is the first task,
taking care not to damage the blossom. I got the impression that the
tree may not be in its first flush of youth, so it's not extraordinary
that there's some minor limb loss. Check that there are no crossing
branches causing chafing wounds, which might let in disease. After some
minor tree surgery, feed and water it to help it recover.

If, whilst, removing the dead wood, you find any other problem, do come
back and let us know.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 31-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Registered User

Thanks to Bob Hobden and Spider for the replies. Now that you mention it, it certainly does have the appearance of lichens and you are quite right in saying that it is an old tree. I'll thin out the dead wood, give it a feed and see what happens next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
"DonGiovanni" wrote