GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Pineapple and Avocado Uk growing advice. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202866-pineapple-avocado-uk-growing-advice.html)

liampenn 31-03-2012 02:40 PM

Pineapple and Avocado Uk growing advice.

I have just recently planted two pineapple pineapple crowns in soil and I also have two avocado pits suspended in water.
Any advice on growing them in such a ''cold'' environment?
Or has anyone done one before?
Any help will be much appreciated... :D
Thanks,
Liam

Jeff Layman[_2_] 31-03-2012 05:17 PM

On 31/03/2012 14:40, liampenn wrote:
I have just recently planted two pineapple pineapple crowns in soil and
I also have two avocado pits suspended in water.
Any advice on growing them in such a ''cold'' environment?
Or has anyone done one before?
Any help will be much appreciated... :D
Thanks,
Liam

Well, with a bit of luck you might get a small pineapple in 4 - 5 years.
That's grown indoors with good light and with a bit of heat, of
course. Bear in mind you'll have to avoid tearing open your skin on the
leaf spines when the plant gets to about a metre or so in diameter...

The avocado will make a nice pot plant for a year or two. It grows
quite fast, but you'll have to throw it out when it gets to 2 metres or
so in height. No point in trying to get it to fruit in the UK, unless
you can rent space in the Palm House at Kew.

--

Jeff

Bob Hobden 31-03-2012 09:16 PM

Pineapple and Avocado Uk growing advice.

"liampenn" wrote

I have just recently planted two pineapple pineapple crowns in soil and
I also have two avocado pits suspended in water.
Any advice on growing them in such a ''cold'' environment?
Or has anyone done one before?
Any help will be much appreciated... :D

I grew a pineapple from a crown years ago, took a number of years to get big
enough to produce another small inedible fruit. However, it was kept in an
unheated (but it used to get very hot) south facing leanto greenhouse about
200 yards from the beach on the South Coast. I often wonder if I'd actually
planted it in the soil in the greenhouse if it would have done better.

--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Pam Moore[_2_] 31-03-2012 09:55 PM

Pineapple and Avocado Uk growing advice.

On Sat, 31 Mar 2012 13:40:37 +0000, liampenn
wrote:

I have just recently planted two pineapple pineapple crowns in soil and
I also have two avocado pits suspended in water.
Any advice on growing them in such a ''cold'' environment?
Or has anyone done one before?
Any help will be much appreciated... :D
Thanks,
Liam

Bob Flowerdew gave advice on growing pineapple in the current GQT,
broadcast Friday and repeated tomorrow, Ap 1st at 2pm on R4.

Pam in Bristol