GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   copper v slugs and snails. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/202893-copper-v-slugs-snails.html)

Bigal 01-04-2012 04:49 PM

copper v slugs and snails.

Does copper really prevent slugs and snails from reaching your plants? If so, would a smear of copper grease do the same job?

lannerman 01-04-2012 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bigal (Post 954707)
Does copper really prevent slugs and snails from reaching your plants? If so, would a smear of copper grease do the same job?

Hi Bigal, Its possible that being a grease, it will deter molluscs from crossing but as far as I'm aware, its the fact that copper (in its metallic form) holds a very mild electrical charge and its this that deters the slugs and snails. This effect only lasts whilst the copper is very clean and bright and as soon as the surface of the metal oxidises, it loses its effect. So the fact that its copper grease wont deter them from the metallic element, just the physical thing of being grease but no doubt others will have their own views ???
Regards, Lannerman.

Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] 02-04-2012 10:29 AM

copper v slugs and snails.

On Sun, 1 Apr 2012 15:49:55 +0000, Bigal
wrote:

Does copper really prevent slugs and snails from reaching your plants?
If so, would a smear of copper grease do the same job?

I don't know but a spray with very dilute copper sulphate solution
will stop any slug.

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com