Old 10-04-2012, 08:28 PM
Registered User

Default can someone please id these please

im new on here so hello everyone, i have moved to a new house at the end of last year so this is my 1st spring in my new large garden. after i have cut all the brambles down i noticed something sprouting and has spread really fast, iv searched everywhere to find out what it is and had no joy. the plant is all connected under ground on a massive root, sprouts red then turns green with longish thin green leaves. trying to load pics for you to help id them
Old 10-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc2dogs View Post
im new on here so hello everyone, i have moved to a new house at the end of last year so this is my 1st spring in my new large garden. after i have cut all the brambles down i noticed something sprouting and has spread really fast, iv searched everywhere to find out what it is and had no joy. the plant is all connected under ground on a massive root, sprouts red then turns green with longish thin green leaves. trying to load pics for you to help id them
i think iv uploaded the pics, if not im sorry not sure how to do it
Attached Thumbnails
can someone please id these please-dsc00253-copy.jpg   can someone please id these please-dsc00247.jpg   can someone please id these please-dsc00250.jpg   can someone please id these please-dsc00252.jpg
Old 10-04-2012, 09:37 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc2dogs View Post
i think iv uploaded the pics, if not im sorry not sure how to do it
pics are a bit out of focus. First glance they look like rosebay, but the massive underground root suggests perhaps not. The other possibility is one of the euphorbias - probably Euphorbia griffithsii. It will have no flowerheads at theis time of year, just shoots, and it spreads by thick underground roots. If it is that, it's worth keeping - it has flowers surrounded by showy orange bracts which last for a long time.

If you haven't got other plans for that area, I'd suggest letting at least some of it grow for another couple of months until it flowers and you get a firm id.
__________________
Old 10-04-2012, 10:09 PM
Registered User

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc2dogs View Post
im new on here so hello everyone, i have moved to a new house at the end of last year so this is my 1st spring in my new large garden. after i have cut all the brambles down i noticed something sprouting and has spread really fast, iv searched everywhere to find out what it is and had no joy. the plant is all connected under ground on a massive root, sprouts red then turns green with longish thin green leaves. trying to load pics for you to help id them
Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
pics are a bit out of focus. First glance they look like rosebay, but the massive underground root suggests perhaps not. The other possibility is one of the euphorbias - probably Euphorbia griffithsii. It will have no flowerheads at theis time of year, just shoots, and it spreads by thick underground roots. If it is that, it's worth keeping - it has flowers surrounded by showy orange bracts which last for a long time.

If you haven't got other plans for that area, I'd suggest letting at least some of it grow for another couple of months until it flowers and you get a firm id.
thank you for that, il take better pics tomorrow when its sunny, its a massive garden thats been left to go wild for about 20yrs and its full of brambles, ive cut 3/4 of the garden down with just a bit left to do, but im struggling to dig coz of all the roots that have spread everywhere.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , kay
writes

lfc2dogs;955584 Wrote:
i think iv uploaded the pics, if not im sorry not sure how to do it

pics are a bit out of focus. First glance they look like rosebay, but
the massive underground root suggests perhaps not.

The pics don't seem to have escaped from GardenBanter, but the
description sounded like rosebay. It depends on what he thinks is a
massive root.

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 10-04-2012, 11:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"lfc2dogs" wrote

im new on here so hello everyone, i have moved to a new house at the end
of last year so this is my 1st spring in my new large garden. after i
have cut all the brambles down i noticed something sprouting and has
spread really fast, iv searched everywhere to find out what it is and
had no joy. the plant is all connected under ground on a massive root,
sprouts red then turns green with longish thin green leaves. trying to
load pics for you to help id them

If you have uploaded photos to Gardenbanter (spit) then you have to post a
link on this Newsgroup or we can't see it as most of us come here direct.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:41 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , kay.9fa5016
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

lfc2dogs;955584 Wrote:
i think iv uploaded the pics, if not im sorry not sure how to do it

pics are a bit out of focus. First glance they look like rosebay, but
the massive underground root suggests perhaps not. The other possibility
is one of the euphorbias - probably Euphorbia griffithsii. It will have
no flowerheads at theis time of year, just shoots, and it spreads by
thick underground roots. If it is that, it's worth keeping - it has
flowers surrounded by showy orange bracts which last for a long time.

Kay uses gardenbanter so can see your pics, the rest of us on usenet
can't.
Wearing gloves cut a stem and see if it bleeds white milky sap. If it
does it's a euphorbia as Kay says.The sap of euphorbias can be a severe
skin irritant to many people ; even brushing the leaves does it to me. I
wouldn't let children play among euphorbia. But if you can avoid contact,
it's a handsome garden plant.

Janet

Old 11-04-2012, 01:35 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfc2dogs View Post
thank you for that, il take better pics tomorrow when its sunny, its a massive garden thats been left to go wild for about 20yrs and its full of brambles, ive cut 3/4 of the garden down with just a bit left to do, but im struggling to dig coz of all the roots that have spread everywhere.
In that case, more likely to be rosebay.

Most people on uk.rec.gardening can't see your pics - suggest you post them to something like Flickr and post the url. Remember that gardenbanter is only a means of posting to a newsgroup, and not a gardening group in its own right, and most of the knowledgeable gardeners aren't on gardenbanter.
__________________
Old 11-04-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Apr 11, 12:35*pm, kay wrote:
lfc2dogs;955587 Wrote:

thank you for that, il take better pics tomorrow when its sunny, its a
massive garden thats been left to go wild for about 20yrs and its full
of brambles, ive cut 3/4 of the garden down with just a bit left to do,
but im struggling to dig coz of all the roots that have spread
everywhere.

In that case, more likely to be rosebay.

Most people on uk.rec.gardening can't see your pics - suggest you post
them to something like Flickr and post the url. Remember that
gardenbanter is only a means of posting to a newsgroup, and not a
gardening group in its own right, and most of the knowledgeable
gardeners aren't on gardenbanter.

kay

I take it thatr when you talk about Rosebay you are in fact talkong
about Rosebay Willowherb
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/rbaywherb.htm
Old 11-04-2012, 10:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Apr 11, 12:35 pm, kay wrote:
lfc2dogs;955587 Wrote:

thank you for that, il take better pics tomorrow when its sunny, its a
massive garden thats been left to go wild for about 20yrs and its full
of brambles, ive cut 3/4 of the garden down with just a bit left to do,
but im struggling to dig coz of all the roots that have spread
everywhere.

In that case, more likely to be rosebay.

Most people on uk.rec.gardening can't see your pics - suggest you post
them to something like Flickr and post the url. Remember that
gardenbanter is only a means of posting to a newsgroup, and not a
gardening group in its own right, and most of the knowledgeable
gardeners aren't on gardenbanter.

kay

I take it thatr when you talk about Rosebay you are in fact talkong
about Rosebay Willowherb
http://www.dgsgardening.btinternet.co.uk/rbaywherb.htm

Rosebay willowherb does not have a massive root (and I couldn't see the pic,
just two lines across the page)

I think we can be too hard on Garden Banter posters, most ISP's have stopped
supporting Usenet so how do they know we are here?

Old 11-04-2012, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 10/04/2012 19:28, lfc2dogs wrote:
im new on here so hello everyone, i have moved to a new house at the end
of last year so this is my 1st spring in my new large garden. after i
have cut all the brambles down i noticed something sprouting and has
spread really fast, iv searched everywhere to find out what it is and
had no joy. the plant is all connected under ground on a massive root,
sprouts red then turns green with longish thin green leaves. trying to
load pics for you to help id them

I'm unable to see your pic, but wonder if your plant could be Japanese
Knotweed? In this area, it is just starting to push its strong red
shoots up through local pavements and gardens. It certainly has a
massive root system. Although the leaves are not considered narrow, the
young red shoots may appear to be so as they unfurl. If it is, you need
to get rid of it as soon as possible.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 11-04-2012, 11:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

"Dave Hill" wrote in message
On Apr 11, 12:35 pm, kay wrote:
lfc2dogs;955587 Wrote:

[...]

Kay is one.

most ISP's have stopped
supporting Usenet

??? It appears to me, every poster here has an isp.

so how do they know we are here?

Because gardenbanter tells them so, in the sticky top post on their
screens which they are all supposed to read. Gardenbanter also shows the
weekly "welcome to urg" post which explains it again as follows:

"This group is designed to be used as a Usenet newsgroup.
You may be reading it via a website such as Garden Banter or
Garden Alley, which copies our messages. On such websites
you may not get access to posting unless you register with them.
With a newsreader program you have direct access to the group
without registration. You may also find that the presentation of each
message with its replies is easier to follow. Windows Mail and
Windows Live Mail contain a newsreader client but if you do not
already have one you can choose from the many offered he

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Usenet_newsreaders.

Janet
Old 12-04-2012, 12:58 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hill View Post

I take it thatr when you talk about Rosebay you are in fact talking
about Rosebay Willowherb
It's not a willowherb! It's Chamerion, not Epilobium.

And therefore botanists have started dropping the willowherb from the name.

So yes, when you talk about "rosebay willowherb" you are in fact talking about Rosebay ;-)
__________________
Old 12-04-2012, 12:59 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post

I'm unable to see your pic, but wonder if your plant could be Japanese
Knotweed? In this area, it is just starting to push its strong red
shoots up through local pavements and gardens. It certainly has a
massive root system. Although the leaves are not considered narrow, the
young red shoots may appear to be so as they unfurl. If it is, you need
to get rid of it as soon as possible.
Don't worry, from the pic it's definitely not that.
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

That's the point Christine was making - if you are with an ISP that doesn't support newsgroups or indeed if you are relatively new to the internet and your computer hasn't arrived with a newsreader amongst the bundled software) how do you find out about urg? Answer - via a web portal.