GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Plant ID (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203211-plant-id.html)

Jeff Layman[_2_] 22-04-2012 10:20 AM

Plant ID

Sorry if you don't like baroque music (turn off the sound!), but can
anyone ID the plant illustrated here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eJf...eature=related

--

Jeff

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 22-04-2012 11:16 AM

Plant ID

In article , Jeff Layman
writes
Sorry if you don't like baroque music (turn off the sound!), but can
anyone ID the plant illustrated here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eJf...eature=related

A hydrangea coming through a holly or an Osmanthus
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Jeff Layman[_2_] 22-04-2012 12:26 PM

Plant ID

On 22/04/2012 11:16, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In , Jeff Layman
writes
Sorry if you don't like baroque music (turn off the sound!), but can
anyone ID the plant illustrated here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eJf...eature=related

A hydrangea coming through a holly or an Osmanthus

It's something growing through one of those (or perhaps a Mahonia). But
it doesn't look like the sterile or fertile flowers of hydrangea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H...a_close_up.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S...gea_flower.jpg

--

Jeff

Stewart Robert Hinsley 22-04-2012 01:13 PM

Plant ID

In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 22/04/2012 11:16, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In , Jeff Layman
writes
Sorry if you don't like baroque music (turn off the sound!), but can
anyone ID the plant illustrated here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eJf...eature=related

A hydrangea coming through a holly or an Osmanthus

It's something growing through one of those (or perhaps a Mahonia).
But it doesn't look like the sterile or fertile flowers of hydrangea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H...a_close_up.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S...gea_flower.jpg

I think it's a flower arrangement, rather than rooted plants. My guess
is that the flowers are Primula malacoides, but there's enough detail
for me to have any degree of certainty.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Stewart Robert Hinsley 22-04-2012 01:53 PM

Plant ID

In message , Stewart Robert Hinsley
writes
In message , Jeff Layman
writes
On 22/04/2012 11:16, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In , Jeff Layman
writes
Sorry if you don't like baroque music (turn off the sound!), but can
anyone ID the plant illustrated here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eJf...eature=related

A hydrangea coming through a holly or an Osmanthus

It's something growing through one of those (or perhaps a Mahonia).
But it doesn't look like the sterile or fertile flowers of hydrangea.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H...a_close_up.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:S...gea_flower.jpg

I think it's a flower arrangement, rather than rooted plants. My guess
is that the flowers are Primula malacoides, but there's enough detail
for me to have any degree of certainty.

Missing negative syndrome strikes again - s/enough/not enough/.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Dave Hill 22-04-2012 03:16 PM

Plant ID

it doesn't look like the sterile or fertile flowers of hydrangea.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H...gea_flower.jpg

--

Jeff

I'm almost certain it's Lantana http://www.flowerspictures.org/flowe...le-lantana.htm
David @ the wintery end of Swansea Bay

S Viemeister[_2_] 22-04-2012 03:46 PM

Plant ID

On 4/22/2012 10:16 AM, Dave Hill wrote:
On Apr 22, 12:26 pm, Jeff wrote:
On 22/04/2012 11:16, Janet Tweedy wrote:

In , Jeff Layman
writes
Sorry if you don't like baroque music (turn off the sound!), but can
anyone ID the plant illustrated here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eJf...eature=related

A hydrangea coming through a holly or an Osmanthus

It's something growing through one of those (or perhaps a Mahonia). But
it doesn't look like the sterile or fertile flowers of hydrangea.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H...gea_flower.jpg

--

Jeff

I'm almost certain it's Lantana http://www.flowerspictures.org/flowe...le-lantana.htm
David @ the wintery end of Swansea Bay

It does look very like the lantana I used to have.

Jeff Layman[_2_] 22-04-2012 05:16 PM

Plant ID

On 22/04/2012 15:16, Dave Hill wrote:
On Apr 22, 12:26 pm, Jeff wrote:
On 22/04/2012 11:16, Janet Tweedy wrote:

In , Jeff Layman
writes
Sorry if you don't like baroque music (turn off the sound!), but can
anyone ID the plant illustrated here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eJf...eature=related

A hydrangea coming through a holly or an Osmanthus

It's something growing through one of those (or perhaps a Mahonia). But
it doesn't look like the sterile or fertile flowers of hydrangea.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:H...gea_flower.jpg

--

Jeff

I'm almost certain it's Lantana http://www.flowerspictures.org/flowe...le-lantana.htm
David @ the wintery end of Swansea Bay

Thanks - it's been puzzling me. I didn't know there was a purple
lantana; all the plants I've seen have been red and yellow.

--

Jeff

kay 22-04-2012 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S Viemeister[_2_] (Post 956737)
It does look very like the lantana I used to have.

Agreed, Lantana. The flower shape is correct, as is the leaf shape - the ones to the back of the pic are lantana (the vaguely holly shaped leaves at the front are something else)

I presume we're all id-ing the right thing? At about 3.47 the pic changes to a yellow compositae.

Charlie Pridham[_2_] 23-04-2012 01:25 PM

Plant ID

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Sorry if you don't like baroque music (turn off the sound!), but can
anyone ID the plant illustrated here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2eJf...eature=related

--

Jeff

My money is on Lantana, going by the leaves I can see as well as the flowers

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs