Old 26-04-2012, 08:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any kale experts here?

I've never grown kale before. However, I have now started using it
frequently since I descovered that it's good as a main ingerdient for
making green smoothies in the kitchen blender! I've also just learned that
it is very hardy, providing grens throughout the winter. So I'm keen to
grow some. I wondered if anyone can recommend a suitable variety. I'm in
the Southwest of England and my soil is very alkaline and somewhat clayey.
I don't have much growing space left, so if there is a spieces that grows
upwards, rather than outwards, that would be helpful, as long as it can
cope with strong winds.

Many thanks,

Al
Old 26-04-2012, 08:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"AL_n" wrote in
:

I've never grown kale before. However, I have now started using it
frequently since I descovered that it's good as a main ingerdient for
making green smoothies in the kitchen blender! I've also just learned
that it is very hardy, providing grens throughout the winter. So I'm
keen to grow some. I wondered if anyone can recommend a suitable
variety. I'm in the Southwest of England and my soil is very alkaline
and somewhat clayey. I don't have much growing space left, so if there
is a spieces that grows upwards, rather than outwards, that would be
helpful, as long as it can cope with strong winds.

Many thanks,

Al

Pentland Brig is the only one I have grown and it does very well in the
winds and snow. A very quick grower and sooo tasty.
I have been growing it near a North facing fence as well.
You should try chard too if you like kale.

Good luck.
Baz
Old 26-04-2012, 10:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
AL_n wrote:

I've never grown kale before. However, I have now started using it
frequently since I descovered that it's good as a main ingerdient for
making green smoothies in the kitchen blender! I've also just learned that
it is very hardy, providing grens throughout the winter. So I'm keen to
grow some. I wondered if anyone can recommend a suitable variety. I'm in
the Southwest of England and my soil is very alkaline and somewhat clayey.
I don't have much growing space left, so if there is a spieces that grows
upwards, rather than outwards, that would be helpful, as long as it can
cope with strong winds.

Cavallero nero is an Italian variety with a good flavour that
generally grows upright. Generally, kale is as tough as old
boots and will grow in most soils. I have seen it growing well
straight on chalk.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 27-04-2012, 07:12 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Apr 26, 8:01*pm, "AL_n" wrote:
I've never grown kale before. However, I have now started using it
frequently since I descovered that it's good as a main ingerdient for
making green smoothies in the kitchen blender! I've also just learned that
it is very hardy, providing grens throughout the winter. So I'm keen to
grow some. I wondered if anyone can recommend a suitable variety. I'm in
the Southwest of England and my soil is very alkaline and somewhat clayey..
I don't have much growing space left, so if there is *a spieces that grows
upwards, rather than outwards, that would be helpful, as long as it can
cope with strong winds.

Many thanks,

Al

Alkaline clay is good for all brassicas so you should do OK.
If your plot is exposed. consider staking them.
Tread soil down round them firmly.
Put on collars against cabbage root fly (you can make your own) and
watch out for caterpillars. (White butterfly). And pigeons can be a
menace.

Other wise few problems.

Old 27-04-2012, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/04/2012 21:01, AL_n wrote:
I've never grown kale before. However, I have now started using it
frequently since I descovered that it's good as a main ingerdient for
making green smoothies in the kitchen blender! I've also just learned that
it is very hardy, providing grens throughout the winter. So I'm keen to
grow some. I wondered if anyone can recommend a suitable variety. I'm in
the Southwest of England and my soil is very alkaline and somewhat clayey.
I don't have much growing space left, so if there is a spieces that grows
upwards, rather than outwards, that would be helpful, as long as it can
cope with strong winds.

Many thanks,

Al

I've grown Wilko's curly kale for a few years now and found it very
reliable and tasty. Doesn't state the variety on the packet though.
Unfortunately the packet is now empty and I don't have access to Wilkos
any more. :-(

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 27-04-2012, 09:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David in Normandy wrote in news:4f9a5778$0
:

I've grown Wilko's curly kale for a few years now and found it very
reliable and tasty. Doesn't state the variety on the packet though.
Unfortunately the packet is now empty and I don't have access to Wilkos
any more. :-(

Thanks to all, for the suggestions. I have ordered a couple of types of
seeds: Cavolo de Nero and Red Russian.

Al
Old 28-04-2012, 12:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

AL_n wrote:
I've grown Wilko's curly kale for a few years now and found it very
reliable and tasty. Doesn't state the variety on the packet though.
Unfortunately the packet is now empty and I don't have access to Wilkos
any more. :-(

Thanks to all, for the suggestions. I have ordered a couple of types of
seeds: Cavolo de Nero and Red Russian.

I grew a few different ones last year, and red russian is the one that has held up best during hte winter - it's the one that is even now still producing edible leaves when all the rest are ready for feeding to the chickens.
Old 28-04-2012, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in
:

AL_n wrote:
I've grown Wilko's curly kale for a few years now and found it very
reliable and tasty. Doesn't state the variety on the packet though.
Unfortunately the packet is now empty and I don't have access to
Wilkos any more. :-(

Thanks to all, for the suggestions. I have ordered a couple of types
of seeds: Cavolo de Nero and Red Russian.

I grew a few different ones last year, and red russian is the one that
has held up best during hte winter - it's the one that is even now
still producing edible leaves when all the rest are ready for feeding
to the chickens.

Cool. The seeds I ordered are organic. That I like, because genetic
meddling worries me. I think next year, I will buy only organic seeds.

Al