GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Deer (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203518-deer.html)

Jeff Layman[_2_] 13-05-2012 08:57 AM

Deer

With the country-wide range of posters in this NG, there must be some
experience of being bothered by deer. I just wondered if anyone knew of
other plants which can be added to the lists below.

Plants they like:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=184

Those they aren't keen on:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=185

--

Jeff

Janet 13-05-2012 09:51 AM

Deer

In article , lid
says...

With the country-wide range of posters in this NG, there must be some
experience of being bothered by deer.

Our previous garden was on a deer track.

I just wondered if anyone knew of
other plants which can be added to the lists below.

Plants they like:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=184

add tulips

Those they aren't keen on:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=185

add daffodils/narcissi and bluebells.

TBH the biggest bother we got from deer was tree related; I was
growing thousands of young trees and they would either nip out the top
leader , or on larger ones, rub off young bark with itchy new antlers.

They could easily have got into our veg garden but never did afaik. They
would come right down to within a yard of the house at night, to eat shrub
roses. Except rugosa roses .

Janet.

Emery Davis[_4_] 13-05-2012 02:15 PM

Deer

On 05/13/2012 09:57 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
With the country-wide range of posters in this NG, there must be some
experience of being bothered by deer. I just wondered if anyone knew of
other plants which can be added to the lists below.

Plants they like:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=184

Those they aren't keen on:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=185

Deer are a plague.

They love Japanese maples and Snakebark maples. They also love Cornus
florida, young beech shoots.

In spite of 1.2 m fencing all around it, they ate the tender top off of
A. shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium' last week.

Christina Websell 15-05-2012 02:01 AM

Deer

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
On 05/13/2012 09:57 AM, Jeff Layman wrote:
With the country-wide range of posters in this NG, there must be some
experience of being bothered by deer. I just wondered if anyone knew of
other plants which can be added to the lists below.

Plants they like:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=184

Those they aren't keen on:
http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=185

Deer are a plague.

They love Japanese maples and Snakebark maples. They also love Cornus
florida, young beech shoots.

In spite of 1.2 m fencing all around it, they ate the tender top off of
A. shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium' last week.

Deer will laugh at such a small fence. Only an 11 wire proper deer fence
will keep them out - so I am told. I'm lucky enough not to be bothered by
them, there don't seem to be any wild deer near me in Leics (except the ones
confined in Bradgate Park)
Tina

echinosum 15-05-2012 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_4_] (Post 958601)
They love Japanese maples and Snakebark maples. They also love Cornus florida, young beech shoots.

In spite of 1.2 m fencing all around it, they ate the tender top off of
A. shirasawanum 'Palmatifolium' last week.

The first time I planted a japanese maple, it was rabbits that ate it, I saw them at it. It was a small one, and the rabbit managed to bend it over to eat the foliage right to the top. Subsequently I have managed to kill several myself without the assistance of any wildlife.

Jennifer Sparkes[_2_] 15-05-2012 05:02 PM

Deer

On May 13, 8:57*am, Jeff Layman wrote:
With the country-wide range of posters in this NG, there must be some
experience of being bothered by deer. *I just wondered if anyone knew of
other plants which can be added to the lists below.

Plants they like:http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=184

Those they aren't keen on:http://apps.rhs.org.uk/advicesearch/...e.aspx?pid=185

--

Jeff

A college friend of mine, now living in the USA,
published a book in 2011 about Deer Resistant Plants.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B006...7097533&sr=1-7

HTH ... Jennifer