GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   help needed earthing up first early spuds (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203528-help-needed-earthing-up-first-early-spuds.html)

Baz[_4_] 14-05-2012 12:32 PM

help needed earthing up first early spuds

After the rain and floods most of my potatoes are putting out new green
growth.
The problem is that although the rows were planted 18" apart they are
growing into the 18" space and the potato patch looks like one cotinuous
mass of potato foliage.... and masses of weed. I have taken the dandelion
and their roots out as much as possible. The rest of the weeds are just
impossible without treading on potato plants.

What to do with the rest of the weeds? Will they die when the potato
foliage grows even more?

Should I sacrifice some growth and earth them up?

Thanks.
Baz

mogga 15-05-2012 01:48 PM

On Mon, 14 May 2012 11:32:38 GMT, Baz wrote:

After the rain and floods most of my potatoes are putting out new green
growth.
The problem is that although the rows were planted 18" apart they are
growing into the 18" space and the potato patch looks like one cotinuous
mass of potato foliage.... and masses of weed. I have taken the dandelion
and their roots out as much as possible. The rest of the weeds are just
impossible without treading on potato plants.

What to do with the rest of the weeds? Will they die when the potato
foliage grows even more?

Should I sacrifice some growth and earth them up?

Thanks.
Baz

Got any grass clippings or straw?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Baz[_4_] 16-05-2012 12:11 PM

help needed earthing up first early spuds

mogga wrote in
:

Got any grass clippings or straw?

Thanks, mogga.
I can get both, please tell me more.
Mulch is it? Everything including weeds? I can do that but only in degrees,
probably take me a week or a lot more depending how thick it has to be. But
I like the idea. This is the only time I have seen my spuds do this
spreading thing.

Baz

No Name 16-05-2012 02:25 PM

Baz wrote:
Mulch is it? Everything including weeds? I can do that but only in degrees,
probably take me a week or a lot more depending how thick it has to be. But
I like the idea. This is the only time I have seen my spuds do this
spreading thing.

Perhaps the constant rain has given them an extra growth spurt

Baz[_4_] 16-05-2012 03:33 PM

help needed earthing up first early spuds

wrote in
:

Baz wrote:
Mulch is it? Everything including weeds? I can do that but only in
degrees, probably take me a week or a lot more depending how thick it
has to be. But I like the idea. This is the only time I have seen my
spuds do this spreading thing.

Perhaps the constant rain has given them an extra growth spurt

That's my thought.

Baz

sowitgrowit! 16-05-2012 03:44 PM

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 3:33:36 PM UTC+1, Baz wrote:
wrote:

Baz wrote:
Perhaps the constant rain has given them an extra growth spurt

That's my thought.

Baz

I would settle for seeing any growth at the moment so I know the spuds didn't drown! No shoots above the hills yet.

First earlies in bags are romping away, the maincrop were a relatively late sowing, to be fair.

Jamie.

No Name 16-05-2012 10:33 PM

Baz wrote:
Mulch is it? Everything including weeds? I can do that but only in
degrees, probably take me a week or a lot more depending how thick it
has to be. But I like the idea. This is the only time I have seen my
spuds do this spreading thing.

Perhaps the constant rain has given them an extra growth spurt

That's my thought.

I wonder if we're likely to get kingsized spuds this year?
(or more likely, tiny blight-damaged ones)