GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   First hedgehog I have seen this year. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203637-first-hedgehog-i-have-seen-year.html)

Baz[_4_] 21-05-2012 02:04 PM

First hedgehog I have seen this year.

First hedgehog I have seen this year and it was squashed on the road.
Very sad sight.

Baz

kay 21-05-2012 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baz[_4_] (Post 959328)
First hedgehog I have seen this year and it was squashed on the road.
Very sad sight.

Baz

Yes, especially as their numbers have crashed over the last 20 years.

On the plus side, we have been visited several times by a hedgehog over the last few weeks - the first we've had in the garden for about 7 years.

cotula 22-05-2012 12:02 PM

On Mon, 21 May 2012 13:04:12 GMT, Baz wrote:

First hedgehog I have seen this year and it was squashed on the road.
Very sad sight.

Baz

Sadly, we have not seen hedgehogs here for years. Probably a
combination of the explosion in badger numbers and no livestock in the
surrounding fields any more, changing the invertebrate population.

Gardening on Wilts/Somerset border
on slightly alkaline clay.

No Name 22-05-2012 01:28 PM

cotula wrote:
Sadly, we have not seen hedgehogs here for years. Probably a
combination of the explosion in badger numbers and no livestock in the
surrounding fields any more, changing the invertebrate population.

We get lots of them, and we always know when there is one about cos next
door's terrier goes absolutely bonkers.

Kathy 22-05-2012 11:44 PM

wrote in message
cotula wrote:
Sadly, we have not seen hedgehogs here for years. Probably a
combination of the explosion in badger numbers and no livestock in the
surrounding fields any more, changing the invertebrate population.

We get lots of them, and we always know when there is one about cos next
door's terrier goes absolutely bonkers.

There is a large one living under my neighbour's shed. I haven't seen it so
far this year but it is definitely around as it's droppings are much in
evidence.

--
Kathy

Christina Websell 25-05-2012 12:15 AM

First hedgehog I have seen this year.

"Baz" wrote in message
.. .
First hedgehog I have seen this year and it was squashed on the road.
Very sad sight.

I used to have hedgehogs until recently, but now two neighbours have seen
badgers in their gardens.
Badgers eat hedgehogs, they can uncurl them.