Old 21-05-2012, 09:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Rhubarb Millionaires?

Just checked and at Asda rhubarb is £5 a kilo.

Checked the relatively small bag we brought back from the allotment and it
weighs 2.2 kilos - so £11 worth at the till :-)

We dropped of a really big bag (possibly 4 times the size or more) at the
care home where my MIL is staying for the staff to share.
Got a really big smile - which is not surprising as we just dropped off
£40 - £50 worth of rhubarb at the door.

This has got to cover our allotment renatl and allotment society
subscriptions for the year :-)

We inherited the rhubarb with the allotment and this isn't the first crop we
have had, nor the last.
Given the amount of rhubarb on the other allotments which is just not being
gathered I am amazed at the price in the shops.

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 22-05-2012, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote (Mon, 21 May 2012
20:46:28 +0100):
[...]

That is staggering and goes to show (one of) the benefit of growing
your own fruit and veg.

Another way to look at it would be that it shows how expensive
everything is, and is getting.

Can't wait for my roobub to be harvestable (only went in a month ago).

--
Regards,
Jamie D.

All the way from sunny Lincolnshire.
Old 22-05-2012, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , David WE Roberts
writes
Just checked and at Asda rhubarb is £5 a kilo.

Checked the relatively small bag we brought back from the allotment and
it weighs 2.2 kilos - so £11 worth at the till :-)

We dropped of a really big bag (possibly 4 times the size or more) at
the care home where my MIL is staying for the staff to share.
Got a really big smile - which is not surprising as we just dropped off
£40 - £50 worth of rhubarb at the door.

This has got to cover our allotment renatl and allotment society
subscriptions for the year :-)

I reckon the strawberry crop covers the allotment rental.

We inherited the rhubarb with the allotment and this isn't the first
crop we have had, nor the last.
Given the amount of rhubarb on the other allotments which is just not
being gathered I am amazed at the price in the shops.

Cheers

Dave R

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 22-05-2012, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 21 May 2012 20:46:28 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

Just checked and at Asda rhubarb is £5 a kilo.

Checked the relatively small bag we brought back from the allotment and it
weighs 2.2 kilos - so £11 worth at the till :-)

We dropped of a really big bag (possibly 4 times the size or more) at the
care home where my MIL is staying for the staff to share.
Got a really big smile - which is not surprising as we just dropped off
£40 - £50 worth of rhubarb at the door.

This has got to cover our allotment renatl and allotment society
subscriptions for the year :-)

We inherited the rhubarb with the allotment and this isn't the first crop we
have had, nor the last.
Given the amount of rhubarb on the other allotments which is just not being
gathered I am amazed at the price in the shops.

It is shockingly dear this year.

I have grown some from seed:
http://pinterest.com/pin/49891508342301684/

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 22-05-2012, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Hello,

I've recently planted some rhubarb crowns (only one of which is showing any
signs of life) and am aware that I shouldn't take any stalks this year (or
next, at any rate) to allow it to get established.

Out of curiosity, how long do you anticipate rhubarb from seed taking before
reaching a stage where you can harvest from it?

Old 23-05-2012, 11:49 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 22 May 2012 16:33:29 +0100, "Jamie D."
wrote:

It is shockingly dear this year.

I have grown some from seed:
http://pinterest.com/pin/49891508342301684/

Hello,

I've recently planted some rhubarb crowns (only one of which is showing any
signs of life) and am aware that I shouldn't take any stalks this year (or
next, at any rate) to allow it to get established.

Out of curiosity, how long do you anticipate rhubarb from seed taking before
reaching a stage where you can harvest from it?

Planted seeds a few months ago so probably 2014 and then only very
lightly then.

I think it's well worth letting it establish. Neighbour and I planted
crowns at same time - he harvested a year before I did. Mine is much
bigger than his this year. Probably 3 times the size.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 23-05-2012, 12:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote (Wed, 23 May 2012 10:49:34
+0100):
wrote:

[...]

Thanks, I'll be letting my crowns develop (assuming the dead-looking
ones burst into life) but have half an eye on the future as an
established part of my plot.

When I have been on the plot long enough to be 100% about the layout
of beds, etc, I may try to bring some up from seed.

Thank you for the helpful reply.

Old 23-05-2012, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 23 May 2012 11:17:45 +0100, Jamie D.
wrote:

[...]

I had two crowns a couple of years ago - from B&Q if I remember - one
disappeared and the other is now on my allotment.

It's tempting to let one flower and try saving the seeds from that -
but everywhere says it saps the plant energy a lot to develop the
seed. I do always wonder whether that's just a myth put about by
people who want to sell you crowns though.

I'm tempted to fill my allotment with rhubarb but I won't! I'll be
giving away some plants and then creating a communal bed I hope!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 24-05-2012, 11:08 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"mogga" wrote in message
I'm tempted to fill my allotment with rhubarb but I won't! I'll be
giving away some plants and then creating a communal bed I hope!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

That's very neighbourly of you! I've met lots of people who are more than
willing to pass crops/plants etc over to other plots, but to specifically
create something communal is a wonderful thought.

Old 24-05-2012, 02:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 May 2012 10:08:39 +0100, "Jamie D."
wrote:

"mogga" wrote in message
.. .
I'm tempted to fill my allotment with rhubarb but I won't! I'll be
giving away some plants and then creating a communal bed I hope!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

That's very neighbourly of you! I've met lots of people who are more than
willing to pass crops/plants etc over to other plots, but to specifically
create something communal is a wonderful thought.

I'm keen to get my non-allotment neighbours growing too. I've given
away about 40 strawberry runners and a few raspberry canes, as well as
5 blackcurrant bushes.
They're all things that have cost me nothing but the time to pot them
up and a little time watering.

I've not got to the guerrilla planting stage in people's gardens -
yet.
:-)

The rhubarb will be fun - got 37 plants if they all survive to be
planted out.
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 24-05-2012, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
I've not got to the guerrilla planting stage in people's gardens -
yet.

I may have to give that a go. There is a lot of green space around where
I live, and I know a neighbour has planted irises over on the opposite side.
Maybe redcurrant bushes should go on ours.
Old 24-05-2012, 03:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 24 May 2012 13:40:11 GMT, wrote:

mogga wrote:
I've not got to the guerrilla planting stage in people's gardens -
yet.

I may have to give that a go. There is a lot of green space around where
I live, and I know a neighbour has planted irises over on the opposite side.
Maybe redcurrant bushes should go on ours.

Go for it!
I think camoflague paint and balaclavas are optional still
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 24-05-2012, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

mogga wrote in
:

wrote:

It is shockingly dear this year.

I have grown some from seed:
http://pinterest.com/pin/49891508342301684/

Hello,

I've recently planted some rhubarb crowns (only one of which is
showing any signs of life) and am aware that I shouldn't take any
stalks this year (or next, at any rate) to allow it to get
established.

Out of curiosity, how long do you anticipate rhubarb from seed taking
before reaching a stage where you can harvest from it?

Planted seeds a few months ago so probably 2014 and then only very
lightly then.

I think it's well worth letting it establish. Neighbour and I planted
crowns at same time - he harvested a year before I did. Mine is much
bigger than his this year. Probably 3 times the size.

mogga,
Harvest a few of those plants early PLEASE.

There is not much sense in growing the crown to maximum size and then
splitting it into bits. Is there?

Harvest some of it as soon as it looks like it needs a nice bit of
crumble on top. Don't deny yourself the pleasures of a young rhubarb
plant or two.

Rhubarb is the only veg. I had experience with before I started growing
all the other stuff that I could. My late mother and dad grew up in
Yorkshire and worked for a well known grower during their school holidays
when they were kids.
Doesn't make me an expert, but I grow some realy nice rhubarb and by the
time many gardeners have denied themselves some very expensive, sought
after stems, my crowns are often dug up by me and given away after the
first 3 years crop to a person I know who likes forcing rhubarb.

Best wishes.
Baz

Old 25-05-2012, 03:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 24 May 2012 15:40:44 GMT, Baz wrote:

I've recently planted some rhubarb crowns (only one of which is
showing any signs of life) and am aware that I shouldn't take any
stalks this year (or next, at any rate) to allow it to get
established.

Out of curiosity, how long do you anticipate rhubarb from seed taking
before reaching a stage where you can harvest from it?

Planted seeds a few months ago so probably 2014 and then only very
lightly then.

I think it's well worth letting it establish. Neighbour and I planted
crowns at same time - he harvested a year before I did. Mine is much
bigger than his this year. Probably 3 times the size.

mogga,
Harvest a few of those plants early PLEASE.

I will certainly have to look at doing this with the ones on my plot -
they're not that old but also not very big.

There is not much sense in growing the crown to maximum size and then
splitting it into bits. Is there?

I want to have enough rhubarb to eat until I'm sick of it (Which is
about 4 puddings more than anyone else I think)

Harvest some of it as soon as it looks like it needs a nice bit of
crumble on top. Don't deny yourself the pleasures of a young rhubarb
plant or two.

Rhubarb is the only veg. I had experience with before I started growing
all the other stuff that I could. My late mother and dad grew up in
Yorkshire and worked for a well known grower during their school holidays
when they were kids.
Doesn't make me an expert, but I grow some realy nice rhubarb and by the
time many gardeners have denied themselves some very expensive, sought
after stems, my crowns are often dug up by me and given away after the
first 3 years crop to a person I know who likes forcing rhubarb.

Do you think it's not as nice after 3 years old?

Best wishes.
Baz

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk