GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Elephant Garlic (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203677-elephant-garlic.html)

[email protected] 23-05-2012 08:03 PM

Elephant Garlic

Should I take the the flower stalks out or not in order to get the
best heads?

Regards
JonH

Gary Woods 23-05-2012 08:10 PM

Elephant Garlic

wrote:

Should I take the the flower stalks out or not in order to get the
best heads?

Removing the scapes will put more energy into the bulbs. How much it
matters depends on your soil fertility, moisture, phase of the moon....
In my location (northeastern U.S.) with regular hardneck garlic, it matters
a lot.

Chris[_3_] 29-05-2012 09:58 AM

Elephant Garlic

In article , Gary Woods
writes
wrote:

Should I take the the flower stalks out or not in order to get the
best heads?

Removing the scapes will put more energy into the bulbs. How much it
matters depends on your soil fertility, moisture, phase of the moon....
In my location (northeastern U.S.) with regular hardneck garlic, it matters
a lot.

I'm wondering about removing the stalks, too.
Having sixty plants, I might leave half of them on - to see what
difference it makes.
Has anyone tried that already?
--
Chris

Gary Woods 29-05-2012 01:03 PM

Elephant Garlic

Chris ] wrote:

Has anyone tried that already?

Indirectly, yes: When I remove scapes, it seems that I always miss a few,
and those bulbs are noticeably smaller (by a half, give or take). But,
there are a lot of variables, so you should certainly do your own
experiment, rather than take the word of a distant ex-colonial!

Cheers!