GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What is this plant (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203764-what-plant.html)

kerrygirl 28-05-2012 11:03 PM

What is this plant

Hello,
I bought 3 of these some years ago, kept them in containers until I was ready to plant them. My problem is I lost the tags on them. I hope someone can give me some info, how high and wide they grow, are they a type of hedge or shrub. Will they survive an exposed area.

I also have this small plant in my garden, is it a weed.

Ok I was going to attach photos but I'm being told to attach them manually, can anyone tell me how to do this.

kay 29-05-2012 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kerrygirl (Post 959929)
Hello,
I bought 3 of these some years ago, kept them in containers until I was ready to plant them. My problem is I lost the tags on them. I hope someone can give me some info, how high and wide they grow, are they a type of hedge or shrub. Will they survive an exposed area.

I also have this small plant in my garden, is it a weed.

Ok I was going to attach photos but I'm being told to attach them manually, can anyone tell me how to do this.

You are using gardenbanter to post to a newsgroup, uk.rec.gardening, which does not allow pictures. So the best thing to do is to use a picture sharing website such as Flickr, put the pictures there, then post a link here.

No Name 29-05-2012 07:30 AM

What is this plant

kerrygirl wrote:
Ok I was going to attach photos but I'm being told to attach them
manually, can anyone tell me how to do this.

Put them on flickr or something similar, then attach the link

Bob Hobden 29-05-2012 04:30 PM

What is this plant

"kerrygirl" wrote

Hello,
I bought 3 of these some years ago, kept them in containers until I was
ready to plant them. My problem is I lost the tags on them. I hope
someone can give me some info, how high and wide they grow, are they a
type of hedge or shrub. Will they survive an exposed area.

I also have this small plant in my garden, is it a weed.

Ok I was going to attach photos but I'm being told to attach them
manually, can anyone tell me how to do this.

I notice you come to this newsgroup via Gardenbanter instead of direct like
most of us. Gardenbanter have a way of dealing with photos for newsgroups
and you should be able to find out how to do it from their web site.
Basically I believe you upload to them and then post a link here, rather
like using flickr etc.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

kerrygirl 30-05-2012 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Hobden (Post 960050)
[...]

Hello Bob,

I thought you guys were gardenbanter. Bob how do I go direct to this newsgroup and what are ye called. Thank you Bob for replying

kay 31-05-2012 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] (Post 960226)
On 2012-05-30 22:11:02 +0100, kerrygirl

-
I notice you come to this newsgroup via Gardenbanter instead of direct
like
most of us. Gardenbanter have a way of dealing with photos for
newsgroups
and you should be able to find out how to do it from their web site.
Basically I believe you upload to them and then post a link here, rather

like using flickr etc.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Hello Bob,

I thought you guys were gardenbanter. Bob how do I go direct to this
newsgroup and what are ye called. Thank you Bob for replying

This is uk.rec.gardening. You need a program that will let you access
newsgroups directly. I have a Mac computer so I use Unison. PC users
have their personal favourites. ;-) People from uk.rec.gardening will
(mostly) respond to queries from Gardenbanter but to be honest, you'll
get more from the group by subscribing to it directly, imo.

I guess that her response to Bob and your response means no-one has seen my previous reply to this thread, right?

A good demonstration of why it's better to go directly to urg and not via here!

Bob Hobden 31-05-2012 08:49 AM

What is this plant

"kerrygirl" wrote

I thought you guys were gardenbanter. Bob how do I go direct to this
newsgroup and what are ye called. Thank you Bob for replying

No, we are a Newsgroup which is part of Usenet which actually predates the
www. So an ancient form of internet communication. :-)
I use Windows Live Mail to access this and other newsgroups (there are
thousands). Do you use a program to access your e-mails? If you do that
should also be capable of showing Newsgroups. One problem is that not all
ISPs carry newsgroups these days so that may stop you unless you pay a News
provider like news.individual.net.
On WLM you should see the word newsgroups at bottom left or under Accounts
(can't remember it's so long ago), click on it and your computer will
download the names of all newsgroups your ISP carries. you can then search
for the ones you want to subscribe too (it's free) and they will appear on
the left hand side of your window every time you open newsgroups again. So
then you just click on uk.rec.gardening and your computer downloads the
latest messages/replies and you do from there. The more you use it a look
around your screen the more you will see you can do.
Give it a go and come back with any other queries.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

[email protected] 31-05-2012 08:57 AM

What is this plant

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"kerrygirl" wrote

I thought you guys were gardenbanter. Bob how do I go direct to this
newsgroup and what are ye called. Thank you Bob for replying

No, we are a Newsgroup which is part of Usenet which actually predates the
www. So an ancient form of internet communication. :-)

So old that it predates the internet :-) Just.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Jake 31-05-2012 10:02 AM

What is this plant

On Thu, 31 May 2012 08:57:59 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In article ,
Bob Hobden wrote:
"kerrygirl" wrote

I thought you guys were gardenbanter. Bob how do I go direct to this
newsgroup and what are ye called. Thank you Bob for replying

No, we are a Newsgroup which is part of Usenet which actually predates the
www. So an ancient form of internet communication. :-)

So old that it predates the internet :-) Just.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Remember the flocks of trained carrier pigeons. You had to get one
from the right flock or your message went into the wrong newsgroup.
And trying to create a picture of a flower you needed ID'd in ASCII.

Ah! The memories.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Janet 31-05-2012 03:24 PM

What is this plant

In article , kerrygirl.a3c3b16
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

I thought you guys were gardenbanter. Bob how do I go direct to this
newsgroup and what are ye called.

Read the sticky at the top of the list on your screen.

Janet.

David Hill 01-06-2012 10:21 AM

What is this plant

On 01/06/2012 10:10, Martin wrote:
On Thu, 31 May 2012 10:02:16 +0100,
wrote:

On Thu, 31 May 2012 08:57:59 +0100 (BST), wrote:

In ,
Bob wrote:
"kerrygirl" wrote

I thought you guys were gardenbanter. Bob how do I go direct to this
newsgroup and what are ye called. Thank you Bob for replying

No, we are a Newsgroup which is part of Usenet which actually predates the
www. So an ancient form of internet communication. :-)

So old that it predates the internet :-) Just.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Remember the flocks of trained carrier pigeons. You had to get one
from the right flock or your message went into the wrong newsgroup.
And trying to create a picture of a flower you needed ID'd in ASCII.

Ah! The memories.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Recently there was an obituary of somebody who believed that the
Germans were infiltrating under cover German carrier pigeons into
England in WWII. He was put in charge of an anti German pigeon
section. The section infiltrated more than 100 English carrier pigeons
into occupied Europe. The pigeons were never seen again. Were they
stool pigeons?

More likely Pie