Old 02-06-2012, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default OTish - White Spider

Took this photo a little while ago. I've never seen a "white" spider
like this before and can't find anything in my library or online to ID
it.

Can anyone (Spider perhaps) help me?

http://rivendell.org.uk/galleries/di...127&fullsize=1

(Incidentally, I'm getting the hang of this "new" camera now)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 14:55:48 +0100, Jake
wrote:

Took this photo a little while ago. I've never seen a "white" spider
like this before and can't find anything in my library or online to ID
it.

Can anyone (Spider perhaps) help me?

http://rivendell.org.uk/galleries/di...127&fullsize=1

(Incidentally, I'm getting the hang of this "new" camera now)

A bit more online hunting and I think I've identified the little
creature as a white crab spider. Never seen one before though.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 02-06-2012, 07:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/06/2012 14:55, Jake wrote:
Took this photo a little while ago. I've never seen a "white" spider
like this before and can't find anything in my library or online to ID
it.

Can anyone (Spider perhaps) help me?

http://rivendell.org.uk/galleries/di...127&fullsize=1

(Incidentally, I'm getting the hang of this "new" camera now)

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Lovely pic, Jake! Your spider is Misumena vatia, a Thomisid (Crab)
spider. It hunts by stealth, creeping up on its victims and 'hugging'
them with those handsome front legs before chomping on them.

It uses its silk for egg sacs, and the male also uses it at mating time
to pin his chosen lady down. For that reason, it is sometimes referred
to as a 'bridal veil'.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-06-2012, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 18:02:51 +0100, Spider wrote:

Lovely pic, Jake! Your spider is Misumena vatia, a Thomisid (Crab)
spider. It hunts by stealth, creeping up on its victims and 'hugging'
them with those handsome front legs before chomping on them.

It uses its silk for egg sacs, and the male also uses it at mating time
to pin his chosen lady down. For that reason, it is sometimes referred
to as a 'bridal veil'.

Thanks Spider and Chris. Initially, never having seen a white spider
before, I thought it was some sort of albino mutant and searching on
that, rather than the simpler "white" denied me the more appropriate
search results.

Just after the photo was taken it walked off sideways, just like a
crab, and hung under the flower, where it is still hanging some hours
later. Must be very patient!

I was actually very surprised at the photo - the most detailed I've
managed so far. Since forking out for this camera I haven't really had
the time to properly "experiment" with it.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Old 03-06-2012, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 02 Jun 2012 18:58:58 +0100, Jake
wrote:

Initially, never having seen a white spider
before, I thought it was some sort of albino mutant and searching on
that, rather than the simpler "white" denied me the more appropriate
search results.

To look at that the other way around, are there any albino spiders
apart from Crab spiders?

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Old 03-06-2012, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Initially, never having seen a white spider
before, I thought it was some sort of albino mutant and searching on
that, rather than the simpler "white" denied me the more appropriate
search results.

To look at that the other way around, are there any albino spiders
apart from Crab spiders?

Steve

There are other white spiders, but afaik they are not albino forms of
their species. A favourite spider of mine, Enoplognatha ovata, has 3
different white-based colourations:

1st colouration is white (often with tiny black dots, esp. on the median
line),
2nd colouration is white with a raspberry red median line.
3rd colouration is white with a broad raspberry median line. Sometimes
this presents as two concerging bands with white ground colour in the
centre.
All 3 colourations can come from one egg sac, hence they are not given
separate sp. names.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?q=eno...mgrefurl=http:

Old 04-06-2012, 12:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Jake wrote in
:

[...]

Looks to me like you have got the hang of that camera. Nice pic.

Baz
Old 04-05-2013, 02:30 PM
Registered User

I saw a fully white spider today in my lounge, never seen anything like it before, its body looked just like a pearl! (definitely not a crab spider) wish I had taken a picture of it! I personally believe this was some kind of albino spider.

Garden spider (warning: contains spider) Mad Cow Garden Photos 1 28-09-2012 12:45 PM
White iris and white spider Wolf Kirchmeir[_3_] Garden Photos 5 26-07-2008 01:28 PM
Ah! Spider! BIG Spider! The Ranger Edible Gardening 9 01-09-2005 04:20 AM
OTish snake story kathy Ponds 3 25-02-2005 04:51 PM
dam beavers - funny OTish K30a Ponds 3 01-08-2003 05:04 AM