GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Please name this plant: (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/203842-please-name-plant.html)

Compo in Caithness[_2_] 03-06-2012 10:43 AM

Please name this plant:

Can someone please name this plant for me?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...4107.JPG?gl=GB

Compo in Caithness[_2_] 03-06-2012 10:49 AM

Please name this plant:

On Jun 3, 10:43*am, Compo in Caithness
wrote:
Can someone please name this plant for me?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...LZI/AAAAAAAACx...

Forgot to say: It's flowering now and appears to be perennial in
nature - it appears in the same spot every year.

David Hill 03-06-2012 10:57 AM

Please name this plant:

On 03/06/2012 10:49, Compo in Caithness wrote:
On Jun 3, 10:43 am, Compo in
wrote:
Can someone please name this plant for me?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...LZI/AAAAAAAACx...

Forgot to say: It's flowering now and appears to be perennial in
nature - it appears in the same spot every year.

Centuria

Jake 03-06-2012 11:14 AM

Please name this plant:

On Sun, 3 Jun 2012 02:43:26 -0700 (PDT), Compo in Caithness
wrote:

Can someone please name this plant for me?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...4107.JPG?gl=GB

Centaurea montana or perennial cornflower. If you deadhead regularly
it'll flower for longer. If you leave the flowers to die on the plant
and go to seed, it can self seed quite vigorously around the garden.

After flowering, the plant will start to die back and the leaves
become susceptible to a form of powdery mildew so it's best to cut
the plant right back. If conditions are right it will then quickly
regrow and flower later in the summer.

Very easy to divide if you want to increase your stock but can be
difficult to get rid of - if you leave a bit of root in the ground, it
will eventually produce a new plant, possibly a year or more later.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from the asylum formerly known as the
dry end of Swansea Bay.

Stephen Wolstenholme[_2_] 03-06-2012 12:48 PM

Please name this plant:

wrote:

Can someone please name this plant for me?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...4107.JPG?gl=GB

Cornflower

Steve

--
Neural Network Software. http://www.npsl1.com

Compo in Caithness[_2_] 03-06-2012 08:03 PM

Please name this plant:

wrote:
Can someone please name this plant for me?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...LZI/AAAAAAAACx...

Thanks for all the answers gang - I have been trying to identify this
plant for a while now. I'm pleased it can be split because I have
plenty of room and the bees love it.

Thanks again,
Paul S., Caithness

Jake 03-06-2012 09:56 PM

Please name this plant:

wrote:
Can someone please name this plant for me?

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-0...LZI/AAAAAAAACx...

Thanks for all the answers gang - I have been trying to identify this
plant for a while now. I'm pleased it can be split because I have
plenty of room and the bees love it.

Thanks again,
Paul S., Caithness

On my last allotment site we all grew it all around the edges and in
between plots as well. It encourages all sorts of pollinators and
happens to flower at just the right time for so many plants that need
pollinating.

Cheers, Jake
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.