Old 09-06-2012, 03:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Poor fruit year?

Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.

Our Victoria Plum is about to break branches with so much fruit. This is the
plum tree which my daughter didn't want in one of her houses, so dug it up,
pruned it like mad, wrapped it up, put it on the front seat of her Impreza
and brought it down to us

Mike

Old 09-06-2012, 03:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Moonraker wrote:
Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.

It's the same here - though I am going to get a few damsons. No
peaches, though, and the fig is only just starting into growth.
Yes, it was the frost.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 09-06-2012, 03:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Moonraker wrote in :

Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.

Our Conference pears look very good, as always, this year.

The two 3 year old cherry trees have blossomed and gone, apart from a few
cherries.

Frost and floods must have destroyed young fruit on trees this year?

Baz
Old 09-06-2012, 04:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.

I've been having problems with fruit which I mentioned here for advice. We
are away a lot because of work. The past two years the fruit set (apples
and plums) but dropped before they came to maturity. It was decided that
lack of water might be the problem. Our apple trees have blossomed heavily
but of course it is too early for the plums yet. It seems we might be
going away again pretty soon so we might not reap the rewards of such heavy
blossom

O (*Central Belt of Scotland)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 09-06-2012, 06:55 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.
pears moderate, too early to tell with apples, strawberries and tayberries look good, medlars normal, figs shaping up well, too early for mulberries - it's barely in leaf.
__________________
Old 09-06-2012, 07:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sat, 09 Jun 2012 14:32:40 +0100, Moonraker
wrote:

Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.

Here, established pear is zilch but a little baby I bought earlier in
the year to replace a dead one has two little fruity things on it.
Gala apple trees have a fair quantity of little fruits developing;
other apples no sign of anything. The plum's new so not expecting
anything on that though it's grown a foot since I planted it.
Strawberries and raspberries are developing loads of fruits as is a
dwarf cherry and the blackcurrants.

No sign of spuds coming up though that's probably because I didn't
plant any Second lot of tomatoes keeled over like the first so now
not bothering with those this year.

Cheers, Jake
=======================================
Urgling from Swansea Bay. Dave's at that
end; I'm at this end. Bill's in the middle.
Old 09-06-2012, 07:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Seem to have a reasonable crop of damsons coming, but the plums don't look
good here in Leics.

Old 09-06-2012, 08:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 9, 2:32*pm, Moonraker wrote:
Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.

Same with us. Herefordshire. It's the frost wot did it.
Old 09-06-2012, 10:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 09/06/2012 19:13, harry wrote:
On Jun 9, 2:32 pm, wrote:
Last year was an excellent year for fruit, in particular damsons and
pears. This year there are no signs of damsons and the pears are very
sparse, in fat it looks like a Norway year, null ponce. Is it general or
just here? I suspect the frosts during blossom time was the main culprit.

Same with us. Herefordshire. It's the frost wot did it.

I'll have to look tomorrow if it's not tipping down with rain.