Old 11-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hill View Post
On 11/06/2012 13:13, Dean25 wrote:
;961287 Wrote:
In article
,
harry
wrote:-
On Jun 11, 12:46=A0am, Dean25 wrote:
-
Hey there to anyone reading this, I live in the the Uk, Bucks im 25
and
a keen gardener. A plant which I am currently growing from seed is
Rhus
Typhinia, stags horn sumach, my favourite tree, I already know alot
about the tree but Im Wondering If anyone Who doesnt live a million
miles away from me has a parent tree they could Propogate some suckers
from for me?!

Apparently they grow more rapidly from suckers than seed. Im aware the
plant/tree has some unpopular habits but I love them! I hope to hear
from anyone who can help. Obviously Happy to swap/pay for them etc
:-)-

You do know it is a non-native species that is considered as bad as
knotweed by some?
Best to dig it up and burn it.-

Well, there are always a few idiots who claim ridiculous things.

Yes, it suckers profusely and that habit can make it a menace.
However, if it is in a position that the suckers can be kept
under control (e.g. if it is in a lawn, and they are mown off)
and won't damage anything, then that's not a problem. Bay
(Laurus nobilis) suckers, too.

I would be careful about burning it (I don't burn my Cotinus
coggygria prunings), because it is related to Toxicodendron
(poison ivy/oak), and I don't trust the smoke not to be toxic
and damage people's lungs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Im really just looking for replies from people who have the tree! I
already know alot about it and its hardly equal to knotweed. The tree
doesnt damage anything, its been ornamentally grown in the uk for over
300 years.
Helpful comments only people!

Yes, I have it and it suckers well into gravel so pulls easily.
David @ the showery end of Swansea Bay
Thank you for the message David.
Old 12-06-2012, 12:02 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean25 View Post
Thanks for your message, Im a little confused about your petulant outburst comment! Do you mean me? Im wondering why my messages have come across badly!
Hey Nick I think people thought I was being ungrateful for your advice. I very much appreciated your advice. My "helpful advice only" message was aimed at the person who advised me to burn the tree! It apears I do not understand the Forums purpose!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Any owners of Rhus, stag horn sumach tree please read.

In article , Dean25.a4c0d17
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

the Standard Stag horn sumach suckers the most, the other cut leaf
versions dont get as large or sucker as much. not many garden centres
have it and the garden centre that does are selling them at £15 each. I
wanted a few suckers to grow on and I cant afford to buy say £45 worth!

So buy one and grow it on. Learn some patience.

I do see lots in nearby gardens but Im not brave enough to ask strangers
to dig up suckers for me!

I thought you just did.

Janet
Old 12-06-2012, 04:58 PM
Registered User

You are deluded janet, My comment : "helpful comments only" was directed at the person who advised me too burn down any sumachs, after I had quoted it was my favourite tree in my opening paragraph. I CREATED this thread with the intention of aquiring suckers from someone local, I didnt CREATE this thread to discuss Sumachs with people. Thats not being rude, its being honest. If I misunderstood the purpose of this website, I fail to see how that is your concern? You obviously have a serious attitude problem and if you cant say anything nice, might I suggest you say nothing at all???

Old 12-06-2012, 05:07 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean25 View Post
Thanks for your message, Im a little confused about your petulant outburst comment! Do you mean me? Im wondering why my messages have come across badly!
Possibly because you don't understand gardenbanter? It's not a gardening forum, it's in effect a messaging service which posts your posts to a newsgroup called uk.rec.gardening, and collects and displays posts other people make to the newsgroup.

The newsgroup isn't a question and answer service, it's a group for chat about gardening, so while people will try to answer your question, they will also take the conversation off into quite independent routes. So asking people to stick to your subject comes across as a wee bit rude in that context.
__________________
Old 12-06-2012, 05:11 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean25 View Post
You are deluded janet, My comment : "helpful comments only" was directed at the person who advised me too burn down any sumachs, after I had quoted it was my favourite tree in my opening paragraph. I CREATED this thread with the intention of aquiring suckers from someone local, I didnt CREATE this thread to discuss Sumachs with people. Thats not being rude, its being honest. If I misunderstood the purpose of this website, I fail to see how that is your concern? You obviously have a serious attitude problem and if you cant say anything nice, might I suggest you say nothing at all???
Yes, you do seem to have misunderstood the website.

It is Janet's concern, and that of all users of the newsgroup, because the posters to the newsgroup are what have created it.

You are very welcome to join in the newsgroup, but it's a bit soon to be trying to change it!
__________________
Old 12-06-2012, 05:17 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
Yes, you do seem to have misunderstood the website.

It is Janet's concern, and that of all users of the newsgroup, because the posters to the newsgroup are what have created it.

You are very welcome to join in the newsgroup, but it's a bit soon to be trying to change it!
Im not trying to change anything Kay, As ive written before, I simply didnt understand the purpose of the site. Ive asked my friends there opinion and they agree there was no reason to be so rude to me. It doesnt go any further than that.
Old 12-06-2012, 06:22 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean25 View Post
Im not trying to change anything Kay, As ive written before, I simply didnt understand the purpose of the site. Ive asked my friends there opinion and they agree there was no reason to be so rude to me. It doesnt go any further than that.
No, I know you weren't trying to change things, but given that it isn't the norm in the newsgroup for a thread to stay on topic, asking people to stay on topic does sound like you're trying to change things, and, from this side of the fence, sounds a wee bit rude.

But now we've sorted out the confusion, there's no problem. Hopefully you'll get the answer you need, just relax about all the other advice that you don't want, and remember too that there's an army of "lurkers" out there who may not know as much about sumach as you, and for whom all the information on suckering etc will be useful.
__________________
Old 12-06-2012, 06:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
NT NT is offline

On Jun 12, 1:49*pm, Janet wrote:
In article , Dean25.a4c6176
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Janet;961348 Wrote:
In article , Dean25.a4bb8b6
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...
-
Im really just looking for replies from people who have the tree!
Helpful comments only people!-

You appear to be under the delusion *you have reached the customer
advisory desk at a garden centre dedicated to serving you.

This is a discussion group, called uk.rec.gardening, which *is
completely independent of gardenbanter.

There is no membership, no moderator, anyone here is free to DISCUSS
rhus
typhina whether or not what they say is relevent to your
post.Gardenbanter
has no control over what is discussed here, or who replies, and neither
do
you.

Janet.

Your incredibly rude Janet.

* But the really annoying thing, is that I'm right.

I had never used this site before until last
night

* Does that give you some right to jump in feet first and behave like a
spoiled two year old? Not here it doesn't. This is NOT A "SITE".

* Janet

Janet is just explaining how newsgroups work. If you dont like it,
that's unfortunate.

NT

Old 12-06-2012, 06:50 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
No, I know you weren't trying to change things, but given that it isn't the norm in the newsgroup for a thread to stay on topic, asking people to stay on topic does sound like you're trying to change things, and, from this side of the fence, sounds a wee bit rude.

But now we've sorted out the confusion, there's no problem. Hopefully you'll get the answer you need, just relax about all the other advice that you don't want, and remember too that there's an army of "lurkers" out there who may not know as much about sumach as you, and for whom all the information on suckering etc will be useful.
I didnt ask anyone to stay on topic. Im not the sort of person to recieve rude comments on a gardening forum of all places and siliently brood about it. I did nothing wrong and wasnt rude. If people got confused with what I wrote then thats that. As ive said I was confused about the purpose of this website. After comments from my friends/family Ive come to the conclusion the negativity from here is probably an age related issue, as im only 25 and couldnt possibly know anything about horticulture!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:19 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean25 View Post
I didnt ask anyone to stay on topic. Im not the sort of person to recieve rude comments on a gardening forum of all places and siliently brood about it. I did nothing wrong and wasnt rude. If people got confused with what I wrote then thats that. As ive said I was confused about the purpose of this website. After comments from my friends/family Ive come to the conclusion the negativity from here is probably an age related issue, as im only 25 and couldnt possibly know anything about horticulture!
We didn't know your age and you don't know the age of anyone on here, so that's not a valid conclusion.

I've tried to explain why, although you had no intention to be rude, your comments did seem presumptuous - and "helpful comments only people" and similar responses sound remarkably like a request to stay on topic!
__________________
Old 12-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
We didn't know your age and you don't know the age of anyone on here, so that's not a valid conclusion.

I've tried to explain why, although you had no intention to be rude, your comments did seem presumptuous - and "helpful comments only people" and similar responses sound remarkably like a request to stay on topic!
I quoted my age in my opening paragraph. Thank you for your advice.
Old 12-06-2012, 08:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 11 Jun 2012 Dean25 wrote:

You appear to be under the delusion you have reached the customer
advisory desk at a garden centre dedicated to serving you.

This is a discussion group, called uk.rec.gardening, which is
completely independent of gardenbanter.

There is no membership, no moderator, anyone here is free to DISCUSS
rhus

typhina whether or not what they say is relevent to your
post.Gardenbanter

has no control over what is discussed here, or who replies, and neither
do

you.

Your incredibly rude Janet.

Well, that is so. I've been on the receiving end of Janet's tongue more
than once and for no good reason other than she can be extremely
prickly. She does tend to treat us like naughty children when she feels
we've done wrong. I simply ignore it!

David

http://rance.org.uk

Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean25 View Post
I quoted my age in my opening paragraph. Thank you for your advice.
Oh, right, so you did! It didn't register with me, so none of my comments were based on your age.

Pruning sumach Tahi United Kingdom 1 19-03-2010 02:57 PM
Rhus typhina patrick j[_2_] United Kingdom 13 29-07-2008 04:31 PM
Staghorn Sumach T. Sheehan United Kingdom 3 13-06-2005 08:39 PM
WTB: Stag\Elk Horns (ferns) CANB bleanne Australia 0 05-05-2003 03:09 AM
does this sound like Rhus glabra (smooth sumac)? griffon Gardening 1 03-04-2003 01:32 AM