GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Colour of Rhubarb ? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204020-colour-rhubarb.html)

Rob G 13-06-2012 10:34 PM

Colour of Rhubarb ?

A discussion has arisen over the colour of rhubarb stems. Is the
concentration of the red colour related to variety, environment or the
weather ?

Thanks
Rob

[email protected] 13-06-2012 11:02 PM

Colour of Rhubarb ?

In article ,
Rob G wrote:

A discussion has arisen over the colour of rhubarb stems. Is the
concentration of the red colour related to variety, environment or the
weather ?

Er, yes?

I believe primarily the first, but probably the others, plus the
age of the plant and the stems. The truth is rarely pure and
never simple (Oscar Wilde).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden 14-06-2012 08:30 AM

Colour of Rhubarb ?

Nick wrote

Rob G wrote:

A discussion has arisen over the colour of rhubarb stems. Is the
concentration of the red colour related to variety, environment or the
weather ?

Er, yes?

I believe primarily the first, but probably the others, plus the
age of the plant and the stems. The truth is rarely pure and
never simple (Oscar Wilde).

I agree, on our last allotment we had a few different varieties of rhubarb
(from other plotholders) and one always had thinner redder tastier stems. I
have no idea what variety it was but it was certainly the best of the bunch.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

kay 14-06-2012 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob G (Post 961631)
A discussion has arisen over the colour of rhubarb stems. Is the
concentration of the red colour related to variety, environment or the
weather ?

I have Glaskins Perpetual with both green stems and red stems.

Mike L 15-06-2012 06:33 PM

Colour of Rhubarb ?

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:30:15 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Nick wrote

Rob G wrote:

A discussion has arisen over the colour of rhubarb stems. Is the
concentration of the red colour related to variety, environment or the
weather ?

Er, yes?

I believe primarily the first, but probably the others, plus the
age of the plant and the stems. The truth is rarely pure and
never simple (Oscar Wilde).

I agree, on our last allotment we had a few different varieties of rhubarb
(from other plotholders) and one always had thinner redder tastier stems. I
have no idea what variety it was but it was certainly the best of the bunch.

This is a good moment to ask about the oxalic acid and soluble
oxalates. I read somewhere that even when turning green, the stems
don't contain the unhealthy concentration found in the leaves. 1), is
this true? and 2), is there a degree of greening in the petioles which
indicates unsafe levels?

--
Mike.

Janet 15-06-2012 10:28 PM

Colour of Rhubarb ?

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:30:15 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Nick wrote

Rob G wrote:

[...]

AIUI the leaves always contain more than the stems; but older stems
contain more oxalates as the growth matures. So people trying to avoid
oxalates shouldn't eat rhubarb picked after July.

Janet

No Name 16-06-2012 12:42 AM

Colour of Rhubarb ?

Janet wrote:
AIUI the leaves always contain more than the stems; but older stems
contain more oxalates as the growth matures. So people trying to avoid
oxalates shouldn't eat rhubarb picked after July.

Mine never seems to want to grow much after the end of May anyhow. :-/

Mike L 17-06-2012 10:06 PM

Colour of Rhubarb ?

On Fri, 15 Jun 2012 22:28:09 +0100, Janet wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Thu, 14 Jun 2012 08:30:15 +0100, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

Nick wrote

Rob G wrote:

[...]

Su not too attractive even in June. But I wonder specifically if
anybody has some gen on the greenness as an indicator.

--
Mike.