Old 17-06-2012, 07:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default First Harvest

Ok, not staggeringly exciting, and not really 'first' cos we've had
one or two currants, strawberries and a pile of rhubarb, but

* 160g of potatoes
* 150g broad beans (pre-shelling)

\o/

Old 17-06-2012, 09:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Ok, not staggeringly exciting, and not really 'first' cos we've had
one or two currants, strawberries and a pile of rhubarb, but

* 160g of potatoes
* 150g broad beans (pre-shelling)

\o/

Vicky ... what does \o/ mean?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/
Old 17-06-2012, 10:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:
Ok, not staggeringly exciting, and not really 'first' cos we've had
one or two currants, strawberries and a pile of rhubarb, but

* 160g of potatoes
* 150g broad beans (pre-shelling)

We have had the best broad-bean tops ever (no blackfly!) and the best
spinach ever (cold and wet) and have had some strawberries. I don't
count rhubarb, as the deal is that I don't get given it :-)

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 17-06-2012, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:01:32 +0100, Ophelia wrote:

* 160g of potatoes
* 150g broad beans (pre-shelling)

\o/

Vicky ... what does \o/ mean?

At a guess from the context "WooHoo!" ie arms in air cheering. B-)

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 18-06-2012, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , wrote:

We have had the best broad-bean tops ever (no blackfly!) and the best
spinach ever (cold and wet) and have had some strawberries. I don't
count rhubarb, as the deal is that I don't get given it :-)

You're not a fan? Shame. It's much more interesting than stewed apple.

Interesting and pleasant are orthogonal concepts!

I couldn't convince the boys that we should take the tops off the broad
beans (they have some on their own raised bed as well as the main ones)
as they wanted them to keep growing. We definitely have black fly on
some, but most of them are clear. It's always struck me as quite odd
how you get a patch of clean ones and then 1 or 2 coated in black in
the middle.

I take them off primarily to keep them shortish to reduce breakages
and encourage setting - despite belief, it doesn't help with blackfly.
The reason that they are so patchy is that the (flying adult) lands
or lays eggs (I am not sure which) and then they reproduce like mad
parthenogenically in a wingless form.

I really ought to grow spinach, I'm quite fond of it (much nicer than
lettuce, and I don't get complained at when I cook it, like I do with
lettuce - apparently frying lettuce in butter is a no-no!).

I succeed only one year in three - it can't stand dry weather.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.
Old 18-06-2012, 02:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
In article ,
wrote:
I couldn't convince the boys that we should take the tops off the
broad beans (they have some on their own raised bed as well as the
main ones) as they wanted them to keep growing. We definitely have
black fly on some, but most of them are clear. It's always struck me
as quite odd how you get a patch of clean ones and then 1 or 2 coated
in black in the middle.

I take them off primarily to keep them shortish to reduce breakages
and encourage setting - despite belief, it doesn't help with blackfly.
The reason that they are so patchy is that the (flying adult) lands
or lays eggs (I am not sure which) and then they reproduce like mad
parthenogenically in a wingless form.

I was wondering about that only yesterday as there's a patch of blackfly
on a second plant in from one end of my double row of b/beans, but the
others all seem clean - so far anyway.

Despite all the feeding and cossetting they get all through the winter,
the bluetits and great-tits in the garden don't seem to be very
interested in the blackfly, I noticed, although they're investigating
all the shrubs and tall flowering plants like foxglove. Do they not eat
blackfly?
--
Sue

Old 18-06-2012, 05:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Dave Liquorice" wrote in message
ll.co.uk...
On Sun, 17 Jun 2012 21:01:32 +0100, Ophelia wrote:

* 160g of potatoes
* 150g broad beans (pre-shelling)

\o/

Vicky ... what does \o/ mean?

At a guess from the context "WooHoo!" ie arms in air cheering. B-)

Fairynuff ))

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 18-06-2012, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

wrote in message
Ok, not staggeringly exciting, and not really 'first' cos we've had
one or two currants, strawberries and a pile of rhubarb, but

* 160g of potatoes
* 150g broad beans (pre-shelling)

\o/

Vicky ... what does \o/ mean?

either dancing with joy or going down for the third time.
--

*cough*

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-06-2012, 10:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"S Viemeister" wrote in message
On 6/18/2012 12:39 PM, Ophelia wrote:
"Martin" wrote
"Ophelia" wrote:
wrote
Ok, not staggeringly exciting, and not really 'first' cos we've had
one or two currants, strawberries and a pile of rhubarb, but

* 160g of potatoes
* 150g broad beans (pre-shelling)

\o/

Vicky ... what does \o/ mean?

either dancing with joy or going down for the third time.

*cough*

Ophelia!!!!!

What?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

First Harvest mj North Carolina 8 02-07-2012 11:11 PM
First Harvest! No Name United Kingdom 16 17-06-2010 11:12 PM
First frost and harvest David Hare-Scott[_2_] Australia 1 14-05-2010 07:43 PM
Worms - my first "harvest" of castings Cheryl Isaak Gardening 0 22-05-2007 01:56 PM
First harvest from the garden zxcvbob Edible Gardening 1 31-05-2005 09:58 PM