Old 18-06-2012, 11:40 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Liquorice plants?

Is this the sort of thing my local garden centre will have?
Had a quick google and can see only one place selling plants...
brandycarrnurseries

Is it easy to grow from seed?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 18-06-2012, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 10:40:46 +0100, mogga
wrote:

Is this the sort of thing my local garden centre will have?
Had a quick google and can see only one place selling plants...
brandycarrnurseries

Is it easy to grow from seed?

Instructions on growing from seed
http://www.gardenguides.com/98850-gr...rice-root.html

Source of seeds
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/herbl.htm
and from Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Herb-Seeds-L...0017613&sr=1-2

Are the instructions above applicable to the UK?
http://www.brandycarrnurseries.co.uk...-liquorice.htm talks
about English liquorice and advises lifting the plants each autumn to
overwinter then plant out again in spring.

Also, http://www.stanleybriggs.com/pontefr...ractcakes.html makes
interesting reading :-)

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 18-06-2012, 07:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Mon, 18 Jun 2012 14:19:18 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

Is this the sort of thing my local garden centre will have?
Had a quick google and can see only one place selling plants...
brandycarrnurseries

Is it easy to grow from seed?

Instructions on growing from seed
http://www.gardenguides.com/98850-gr...rice-root.html

Source of seeds
http://www.nickys-nursery.co.uk/seeds/pages/herbl.htm
and from Amazon
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Herb-Seeds-L...0017613&sr=1-2

Are the instructions above applicable to the UK?

I don't know. The site doesn't say where they are.

http://www.brandycarrnurseries.co.uk...-liquorice.htm talks
about English liquorice and advises lifting the plants each autumn to
overwinter then plant out again in spring.

Where do you see that, Dave?

"Harvesting

English liquorice is harvested in late autumn and is mainly used to make
extract. It is bright yellowish brown and is flexible, easily cut with a
knife to show a yellow juicy substance. It has a peculiar earthy odour and a
sweet flavour.

When harvesting the liquorice root the plants are dug up and the roots cut
away from the crown. The crowns are then stored in slightly moist compost
and put in a cool dark place. In spring the crown can be planted out after
all risk of frost has past."

I presume by that you lift them every year once they are established - not
clear if you lift them when they are maturing, or if you only lift and store
when harvesting every x years.
However I would have thought that if they were fully frost hardy you could
put them straight back in the ground once you had cut off the roots you
needed.