GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Best way to propagate phlox (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204180-best-way-propagate-phlox.html)

66oldgit 23-06-2012 01:16 PM

Best way to propagate phlox

Hi, seem unlucky with these on my heavy soil, so can anyone advise me so I can keep them for next year, and hopefully longer thanks

Bob Hobden 23-06-2012 04:23 PM

Best way to propagate phlox

"66oldgit" wrote

Hi, seem unlucky with these on my heavy soil, so can anyone advise me so I
can keep them for next year, and hopefully longer thanks

Thought it was just me! Anyway, someone on this Ng sent me some plants to
try (again!). They are doing well except that my large cat (7.1 Kg!) had a
fight with a new neighbours obviously stupid ginger Tom recently and they
flattened one of the plants leaving behind lots of ginger fur as evidence.
Anyway, I picked up the broken off bit of plant and just stuck it into the
ground and it appears to have taken. So perhaps take some cuttings?
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Pam Moore[_2_] 24-06-2012 08:26 AM

Best way to propagate phlox

On Sat, 23 Jun 2012 05:16:47 -0700 (PDT), 66oldgit
wrote:

Hi, seem unlucky with these on my heavy soil, so can anyone advise me so I can keep them for next year, and hopefully longer thanks

I assume you mean border phlox not the alpine type.
I have a basic clay soil.
I have no trouble with the former, and find they take easily from
divisions. The alpine types of phlox I cannot manage to keep
overwinter. They never seem to survive.

Pam in Bristol