GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Broccoli 'Rudolph' (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204359-broccoli-rudolph.html)

Trevor 08-07-2012 08:26 AM

Broccoli 'Rudolph'

I sowed Broccoli Rudolph as it sounded great to heave it ready in the
winter rather then the summer when the caterpillars are around (well not
this summer admittedly). It has been flowering (with unuseable speasr)
for the last month., It it a waste of space to keep it in the ground or
shall I hang on?

Bob Hobden 08-07-2012 10:06 AM

Broccoli 'Rudolph'

"Trevor" wrote

I sowed Broccoli Rudolph as it sounded great to heave it ready in the
winter rather then the summer when the caterpillars are around (well not
this summer admittedly). It has been flowering (with unuseable speasr) for
the last month., It it a waste of space to keep it in the ground or shall I
hang on?

Cut off all the flowering spears and see what happens. If it keeps running
straight to flowers then pull it up. A lot of our summer cabbages seem to be
"blowing" instead of making a heart, must be the weather this year.
I've got autumn and spring cyclamen flowering together now too, crazy year.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Trevor 08-07-2012 01:27 PM

Broccoli 'Rudolph'

On 08/07/2012 10:06, Bob Hobden wrote:
"Trevor" wrote

I sowed Broccoli Rudolph as it sounded great to heave it ready in the
winter rather then the summer when the caterpillars are around (well
not this summer admittedly). It has been flowering (with unuseable
speasr) for the last month., It it a waste of space to keep it in the
ground or shall I hang on?

Cut off all the flowering spears and see what happens. If it keeps
running straight to flowers then pull it up. A lot of our summer
cabbages seem to be "blowing" instead of making a heart, must be the
weather this year.
I've got autumn and spring cyclamen flowering together now too, crazy year.

Yes I'm surprised the Cyclamen haven't started flowering here. Thanks re
broccoli.

Alan (BigAl) 10-07-2012 12:30 PM

Broccoli 'Rudolph'

On 08/07/2012 08:26, Trevor wrote:
I sowed Broccoli Rudolph as it sounded great to heave it ready in the
winter rather then the summer when the caterpillars are around (well not
this summer admittedly). It has been flowering (with unuseable speasr)
for the last month., It it a waste of space to keep it in the ground or
shall I hang on?

I have turnips, beetroot and chard all bolting. None has had a check
from lack of water ;-)

I am blaming the very cold weather in June

Al.