Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default On Topic of Gardening

Ragnar wrote:
Oddly, I think I would recognise a red admiral.
Could have been one of these:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/essex/content/i...70_470x352.jpg

Very pretty but not a butterfly of course.

If it /is/ that one, it appears to be a cinnabar moth:
http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...tures=&Family=
Old 12-07-2012, 09:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 11/07/2012 21:52, Steerpike wrote:
On Jul 11, 2:44 pm, "Pete" wrote:
Whilst I have every sympathy for Baz and others who have been affected by
recent weather/floods etc., isn't it about time this newsgroup got back to
what is supposed to be about -i.e. GARDENING!!!

It seems that the majority of threads this month alone have been
non-gardening - and the same was true in June

Come on all you gardeners - let-s have your thoughts/questions on gardening
please please please

Jeanne

Surely the effects of climate change (which will in time make
gardening out of doors pretty much impossible), are perhaps extremely
relevant to this particular group? The weather may well effect members
of this group far more than most, and to me it seems very worrying
that almost all group members seem to have swallowed corp media
propaganda suggesting climate change either doesnt exist or is
irrelevant, even in the face of the worst summer since records began,
and similar situations in many other parts of the world.

On what basis do you blame global warming? The forecasts of its effect
has been totally out in the past, after all they use computer models,
not real life. Also this is by no means the worst summer in living
memory, though bad. It was only 40 years ago that the "scientists" were
predicting a mini ice age because it was exceptionally cold. As regards
it meaning eventually there will be no more gardening that certainly is
not predicted to happen in the lifetime of any posters here, even by the
most gloomy predictors. Why have people who do not agree with you been
biassed by corporate media propaganda any more than you being biassed by
the other side?

Old 12-07-2012, 10:16 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
If it /is/ that one, it appears to be a cinnabar moth:
http://www.butterfly-conservation.or...tures=&Family=

That's

beautiful. I've never seen one before in the flesh but hope they'll
visit us one day. I saw a pic the other day of a gorgeous moth (we
think) with a bright scarlet 'tail' and navy wings with white splodges.
If I can find the pic again, I'll give a link to it.

There is an identification guide on that website:
http://www.butterfly-conservation.org/
Old 12-07-2012, 01:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
writes
Yup they have:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-18764953

Gosh thanks for that Vikcy, we rang about 4 days ago to check for the
gardening club and were told categorically NO at the time. So thank
goodness they've had a change of heart !!

I need to water my greenhouse stuff and filling up watering cans and
holding them high to reach the stuff on shelves has been a nightmare.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-07-2012, 03:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet Tweedy wrote:
I need to water my greenhouse stuff and filling up watering cans and
holding them high to reach the stuff on shelves has been a nightmare.

Nick looked up the actual conditions, and I believe watering plants under
cover/glass is acceptable use.

Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 11, 2:44 pm, "Pete" wrote:
[...]

Obviously you are better informed than the Met Office, who seem to be
suggesting this is the worst summer during the course of the 100 years
information relating to our weather has been being
recorded.................maybe you should put them right?
Old 12-07-2012, 08:46 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
One reason for not killing all the ragwort.
__________________
Old 13-07-2012, 08:44 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 11, 2:44 pm, "Pete" wrote:
[...]

The problem with these "worst than" or "hottest" etc is where they
measure it, probably London as everything is centred there. However
there are large variations over the country, small though it is, which
is why forecasting can be so hit and miss. I have often listened to the
forecast, found it wrong, driven a few miles away and there is the
forecast weather.

Old 13-07-2012, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote in message
The problem with these "worst than" or "hottest" etc is where they measure
it, probably London as everything is centred there. However there are
large variations over the country, small though it is, which is why
forecasting can be so hit and miss. I have often listened to the forecast,
found it wrong, driven a few miles away and there is the forecast weather.

The UK is not a small country. London is closer to Geneva than it is to
where I live. When I
drive to London and cross the border at Gretna, I am more than halfway to my
destination
and the UK mainland extends a further 100 miles north of me. The Met. Office
have no conception
of the geography of this part of the UK and only rarely have any knowledge
of current weather
conditions - accurate forecasts are hardly ever given. Much more accurate
forecasts for this
area are given by the Norwegian Met. Office.

Phil
Northern Highlands of Scotland

Old 13-07-2012, 11:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
Phil Gurr wrote:
"Moonraker" wrote in message

[...]

Actually, it IS a small country by global standards (though perhaps
not by European ones). And, while it has more variation in climate
per mile than most, it doesn't have all that much. The reason
that it seems more is that we are so close to the limit of the
habitable regions.

However, your points about it being run by people who think that
Potter's Bar is the northern outpost of civilisation are very true.
The abominable new projection used for the BBC weather forecast
shows their mindset all too clearly. Dammit, they regard Cambridge
as being at the northern border of southern England.

Last week I was walking in the Monadhliath mountains, but I know
enough to know they are NOT in the north of Scotland! Most people
I meet don't.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 13-07-2012, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:00:17 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
. ..
wrote in
:

And I think the first semi-accidental courgette (which was grown
deliberately but has rooted itself into a garden planter before I
could plant out on the allotment!) has its first fruit forming

Guess what we are all gonna do next year then? Semi-accidental some
others
as well ;-) Deliberatly, of course.

Last week I went to buy some courgette plants but they had just sold out.
The nice lady suggested planting some seeds! She assured me they would be
growing fairly quickly. She was right!!! They are coming on by leaps and
bounds))

A honeysuckle and a pink rose have climbed to at least 4' above a Lidl
arch. The rose was sold as growing to a height of 4'. It was planted
near to the arch, but not was not supposed to climb up it.

Now about this pumpkin seed that dropped between a gap in the keys on
my keyboard.

hahaha the mind boggles!

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 13-07-2012, 12:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 11, 2:44 pm, "Pete" wrote:
[...]

Like it or notwithstanding whether you choose to believe the records
related to weather in the past or not, its very hard not to notice the
fact that it has ****ed down nearly every day for about a month now!
Old 13-07-2012, 12:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7/13/2012 6:04 AM, Phil Gurr wrote:

The UK is not a small country. London is closer to Geneva than it is to
where I live. When I
drive to London and cross the border at Gretna, I am more than halfway to my
destination
and the UK mainland extends a further 100 miles north of me. The Met. Office
have no conception
of the geography of this part of the UK and only rarely have any knowledge
of current weather
conditions - accurate forecasts are hardly ever given. Much more accurate
forecasts for this
area are given by the Norwegian Met. Office.

And the Met Office accuracy is even worse up the road from you, on the
north coast.

Old 13-07-2012, 09:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ophelia" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 11 Jul 2012 19:00:17 +0100, "Ophelia"
wrote:

"Baz" wrote in message
wrote in
:

[...]

I once dropped a conker down near the gearstick of my Renault 5 that I had.
It was a biggie that I got for my young nephew and I couldn't get it out
from where it had lodged easily so I didn't.
It grew. Have my two brothers ever let me forget about it?
No.
Does it annoy me that they smirk about this and remind me almost every time
we meet up? Yes, big time.

I could remind them that I changed their nappies, and taught them to read
before they went to school - to give them a good start. If I wanted to.
They are both doing well in their chosen careers.
My younger brother who is sharing the lottie cannot get down there now much,
he is heavily involved with the Olympics.
To be fair, he did tell me that.
I've not told him that we have potato blight. Or that he needs to use his
borrowed petrol strimmer to make sure I am not stung to death by the nettles
getting from the gate to the plot.