GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Potatoes question (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204420-potatoes-question.html)

Wally[_3_] 13-07-2012 12:09 PM

Potatoes question

What is the latest time in the year to plant potatoes ?
I have some that are sprouting and no good for eating
and rather that throw them out I would like to plant them
and hopefully get a small return.
Am I too far into the year to do this?

Wally

No Name 13-07-2012 01:19 PM

Potatoes question

Wally wrote:
What is the latest time in the year to plant potatoes ?
I have some that are sprouting and no good for eating
and rather that throw them out I would like to plant them
and hopefully get a small return.
Am I too far into the year to do this?

If you planted in containers and could move them to a greenhouse
or cold frame or something when the frosts come, you are meant to
be able to grow Christmas Potatoes.

Given the weird weather anyhow, try it and see where it goes, as
none of the normal 'rules' are working atm.

Wally[_3_] 13-07-2012 02:20 PM

Potatoes question

wrote in message
Wally wrote:
What is the latest time in the year to plant potatoes ?
I have some that are sprouting and no good for eating
and rather that throw them out I would like to plant them
and hopefully get a small return.
Am I too far into the year to do this?

If you planted in containers and could move them to a greenhouse
or cold frame or something when the frosts come, you are meant to
be able to grow Christmas Potatoes.

Given the weird weather anyhow, try it and see where it goes, as
none of the normal 'rules' are working atm.

--

Thanks Vicky, I'll give it a go, I've got some spare ground due to
crops failing in this wet weather.

Wally

harry 13-07-2012 07:42 PM

Potatoes question

On Jul 13, 12:09*pm, "Wally" wrote:
What is the latest time in the year to plant potatoes ?
I have some that are sprouting and no good for eating
and rather that throw them out I would like to plant them
and hopefully get a small return.
Am I too far into the year to do this?

Wally

You could plant them in pots/buckets and move them into a greenhouse/
conservatory if/when frost threatens.
Your big problem will be blight. Seems to be bad this year.
New potatoes for Christmas!