GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Query about chilli plant growing in a tub (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204438-query-about-chilli-plant-growing-tub.html)

Colin Gibbins 14-07-2012 11:40 AM

Query about chilli plant growing in a tub

I have a chilli plant growing in a tub in one of those pvc greenhouses.

What is the most likely reason for the flowers & stalks falling off where
they join the main stem when the peppers are beginning to form (Maybe about
8mm in size) ?.

TIA

Colin...

[email protected] 14-07-2012 12:13 PM

Query about chilli plant growing in a tub

In article ,
Colin Gibbins wrote:
I have a chilli plant growing in a tub in one of those pvc greenhouses.

What is the most likely reason for the flowers & stalks falling off where
they join the main stem when the peppers are beginning to form (Maybe about
8mm in size) ?.

Lack of fertilisation, over- or under-watering, cold ....

You can tackle the first by manually fertilising with a small,
soft brush (child's paintbox variety).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

woodglass[_2_] 21-07-2012 10:07 AM

Query about chilli plant growing in a tub

wrote in message ...
In article ,
Colin Gibbins wrote:
I have a chilli plant growing in a tub in one of those pvc greenhouses.

What is the most likely reason for the flowers & stalks falling off where
they join the main stem when the peppers are beginning to form (Maybe
about
8mm in size) ?.

Lack of fertilisation, over- or under-watering, cold ....

You can tackle the first by manually fertilising with a small,
soft brush (child's paintbox variety).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Thanks Nick - I'll give the paintbrush a try.

Cheers,

Colin...

echinosum 23-07-2012 10:28 AM

There is absolutely no need to manually fertilise chillies, they are very good at themselves, indeed far too good, which is why you have to take special precautions if you want to keep the seed.

You don't get 100% fruit set on chillies in my experience. They have to be warm enough at night to get fruit set, and we just haven't had any warm nights for ages.