GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   gardening shoes (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204462-gardening-shoes.html)

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 16-07-2012 02:34 AM

gardening shoes

Does anyone know how to keep laces tied up ? i have a really nice pair
of walking boots which i use for gardening but if i have to stop and tie
the laces up twice i have to do it 6 times. They seem to come unravelled
and could be dangerous if i were perched on a ladder to cut the hedges
or following behind a mower and accidentally step on the blinking
things.

i double knot them and everything ...................
--
Janet Tweedy

S Viemeister[_2_] 16-07-2012 03:26 AM

gardening shoes

On 7/15/2012 9:34 PM, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Does anyone know how to keep laces tied up ? i have a really nice pair
of walking boots which i use for gardening but if i have to stop and tie
the laces up twice i have to do it 6 times. They seem to come unravelled
and could be dangerous if i were perched on a ladder to cut the hedges
or following behind a mower and accidentally step on the blinking things.

i double knot them and everything ...................

Try rubbing bar soap on them before tying - it can stop them slipping so
easily. ( It worked when my kids were little)

Steerpike 16-07-2012 07:57 AM

gardening shoes

On Jul 16, 2:34*am, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Does anyone know how to keep laces tied up ? i have a really nice pair
of walking boots which i use for gardening but if i have to stop and tie
the laces up twice i have to do it 6 times. They seem to come unravelled
and could be dangerous if i were perched on a ladder to cut the hedges
or following behind a mower and accidentally step on the blinking
things.

i double knot them and everything ...................
--
Janet Tweedy

The laces you have are synthetic material..............go to an
outdoor shop and ask if they have non synthetic.

[email protected] 16-07-2012 07:59 AM

gardening shoes

In article ,
Janet Tweedy wrote:
Does anyone know how to keep laces tied up ? i have a really nice pair
of walking boots which i use for gardening but if i have to stop and tie
the laces up twice i have to do it 6 times. They seem to come unravelled
and could be dangerous if i were perched on a ladder to cut the hedges
or following behind a mower and accidentally step on the blinking
things.

i double knot them and everything ...................

Yes, but I don't know how to describe it!

The most common cause of laces untying is that the bow is a granny
not a reef - i.e. after the half knot, the loops should be laid
along the line of the standing parts and not across them. The
second most common is not to pull them tight, and the third is
that the lace material is unsuitable.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Bob Hobden 16-07-2012 08:44 AM

gardening shoes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote ...

Does anyone know how to keep laces tied up ? i have a really nice pair of
walking boots which i use for gardening but if i have to stop and tie the
laces up twice i have to do it 6 times. They seem to come unravelled and
could be dangerous if i were perched on a ladder to cut the hedges or
following behind a mower and accidentally step on the blinking things.

i double knot them and everything ...................

I had similar problems because the shoes came with leather laces so I went
to a "walking shop" and got some proper walking boot laces and used them,
problem cured. If you have to cut them just burn the end and it will seal
and not fray.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Spider[_3_] 16-07-2012 01:27 PM

gardening shoes

On 16/07/2012 02:34, Janet Tweedy wrote:
Does anyone know how to keep laces tied up ? i have a really nice pair
of walking boots which i use for gardening but if i have to stop and tie
the laces up twice i have to do it 6 times. They seem to come unravelled
and could be dangerous if i were perched on a ladder to cut the hedges
or following behind a mower and accidentally step on the blinking things.

i double knot them and everything ...................

Trying waxing them. They should grip better and be protected against rot.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 16-07-2012 02:04 PM

gardening shoes

In article , writes
Yes, but I don't know how to describe it!

The most common cause of laces untying is that the bow is a granny
not a reef - i.e. after the half knot, the loops should be laid
along the line of the standing parts and not across them. The
second most common is not to pull them tight, and the third is
that the lace material is unsuitable.

oh I was in guides and brownies etc. and have tried all sorts of
knots!! Someone did suggest I use flat laces as it's the round ones that
slip!

I tie them really tight and double knot them but after about half an
hour they start to unravel, then i step on one trailing lace and unravel
the whole lot :)
--
Janet Tweedy

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 16-07-2012 02:05 PM

gardening shoes

In article , Sacha
writes
Tie the bow and then tie a knot in the bow, used to be my preferred method.

Done that and done that they still unravel.
--
Janet Tweedy

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 16-07-2012 02:06 PM

gardening shoes

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
I had similar problems because the shoes came with leather laces so I
went to a "walking shop" and got some proper walking boot laces and
used them, problem cured. If you have to cut them just burn the end and
it will seal and not fray.

Oh I'll try that - thanks
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph

Don Phillipson 16-07-2012 02:51 PM

gardening shoes

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message

Does anyone know how to keep laces tied up ? i have a really nice pair of
walking boots which i use for gardening but if i have to stop and tie the
laces up twice i have to do it 6 times. They seem to come unravelled and
could be dangerous if i were perched on a ladder to cut the hedges or
following behind a mower and accidentally step on the blinking things.

i double knot them and everything ...................

Unmentioned here is trials of the various types of shoelace, different in
(1) Profile (cross-section) either circular or flat (oblong)
(2) Material, natural (cotton or linen) or synthetic.
The basic point is that (1) flat-sectioned laces slip much less when
tied than do round-braided laces, regardless of material, (2) artificial
fibres are (usually) much more slippery than natural fibre laces, i.e.
more likely to slip when knotted.

Alternatively, there are other ways of securing footwear, mainly
zip fasteners or velcro straps: and some types of gardening footwear
(e.g. Wellington boots) require no fastening.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs

Janet Tweedy[_2_] 16-07-2012 03:24 PM

gardening shoes

In article , Sacha
writes
I think it's time for the slip-ons with velcro fastenings, Janet! ;-))

Oh ghastly - not likely, These walking boots are safe and reinforced so
give a lot of protection - and would be perfect if I didn't have to keep
tying the laces up :)

Ophelia[_4_] 16-07-2012 04:38 PM

gardening shoes

On 2012-07-16 14:06:15 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
I had similar problems because the shoes came with leather laces so I
went to a "walking shop" and got some proper walking boot laces and used
them, problem cured. If you have to cut them just burn the end and it
will seal and not fray.

Oh I'll try that - thanks

I think it's time for the slip-ons with velcro fastenings, Janet! ;-))

I see you know all about those, Sacha ... ;)

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Muddymike[_2_] 16-07-2012 04:40 PM

gardening shoes

In article , Sacha
writes
Tie the bow and then tie a knot in the bow, used to be my preferred
method.

Done that and done that they still unravel.

I bet they are round laces! Change to flat ones and your problem should be
solved.

Mike

Baz[_3_] 16-07-2012 06:02 PM

gardening shoes

Janet Tweedy wrote in
:

In article , Sacha
writes
I think it's time for the slip-ons with velcro fastenings, Janet! ;-))

Oh ghastly - not likely, These walking boots are safe and reinforced so
give a lot of protection - and would be perfect if I didn't have to keep
tying the laces up :)

I know laces can break your leg if tripped over. Or any bone.

Has anybody reading this subject seen a soldier trouping the Queens
colours, or similar, shoe lace come undone? No, because of the way they tie
them. It is hard to describe but I am looking for a url to show you.

Tie a knot in the bottom of the lace and run through that single strand.
Before wrapping the excess round the ankle and tucking the end in to the
boot. Sounds more complicated than it is.
Does that make any sense?

It works magically, but I only wish I could describe it without a diagram.

Baz
Looking for a link to show you.

Ophelia[_4_] 16-07-2012 06:35 PM

gardening shoes

On 2012-07-16 14:06:15 +0100, Janet Tweedy said:

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
I had similar problems because the shoes came with leather laces so I
went to a "walking shop" and got some proper walking boot laces and
used them, problem cured. If you have to cut them just burn the end
and it will seal and not fray.

Oh I'll try that - thanks

I think it's time for the slip-ons with velcro fastenings, Janet! ;-))

I see you know all about those, Sacha ... ;)
--

Only by remote experience!

:) you mean someone else fastens your velcro?

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/