GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204474-spear-jackson-petrol-hedge-trimmer-petrol-leak.html)

ted4272 16-07-2012 10:54 PM

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak

I bought a Spear & Jackson petrol hedgetrimmer from Argos and because I don't have the receipt the 'help desk' won't help, even with advice. I might be out of time anyway as they apply a 2year cut-off.

The problem is petrol leaks from the place where the petrol tube leaves the tank to go to the engine. I tried surrounding it with bluetack but the petrol dissolves this.

I wonder has anyone found a simple solution to this problem, or have a sensible suggestion?

shazzbat 17-07-2012 08:47 AM

"ted4272" wrote in message

I bought a Spear & Jackson petrol hedgetrimmer from Argos and because I
don't have the receipt the 'help desk' won't help, even with advice. I
might be out of time anyway as they apply a 2year cut-off.

The problem is petrol leaks from the place where the petrol tube leaves
the tank to go to the engine. I tried surrounding it with bluetack but
the petrol dissolves this.

I wonder has anyone found a simple solution to this problem, or have a
sensible suggestion?

It depends on whether the fuel is leaking from between the pipe stub leaving
the tank and the flexible pipe, or from the tank in the vicinity of the
stub. If the former, then a new bit of pipe should do the trick, as the
pipes no longer grip the stubs due to age and inflexibility. If it's the
latter, then that suggests the tank may be cracked[1], and a new tank would
be required.

[1] Possibly damaged in an attempt to remove the pipe?

HTH
Steve

Jeff Layman[_2_] 17-07-2012 12:37 PM

On 16/07/2012 22:54, ted4272 wrote:
I bought a Spear & Jackson petrol hedgetrimmer from Argos and because I
don't have the receipt the 'help desk' won't help, even with advice. I
might be out of time anyway as they apply a 2year cut-off.

The problem is petrol leaks from the place where the petrol tube leaves
the tank to go to the engine. I tried surrounding it with bluetack but
the petrol dissolves this.

I wonder has anyone found a simple solution to this problem, or have a
sensible suggestion?

You will need an epoxy resin (such as Araldite or Isopon) to seal a hole
or crack where a solvent such as petrol can leak out. Remember that
epoxy resins will not stick to polythene or polypropylene, so if the
tank if made of one of these your seal will fail.

Make sure that all the petrol is out of the tank and tube, and allow
anything left to evaporate for 24 hours before applying the sealant.
Allow at least 48 hours for the sealant to cure properly before
refilling with petrol.

--

Jeff

Baz[_3_] 17-07-2012 04:31 PM

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak

ted4272 wrote in news:ted4272.a7a85f6
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

I bought a Spear & Jackson petrol hedgetrimmer from Argos and because I
don't have the receipt the 'help desk' won't help, even with advice. I
might be out of time anyway as they apply a 2year cut-off.

The problem is petrol leaks from the place where the petrol tube leaves
the tank to go to the engine. I tried surrounding it with bluetack but
the petrol dissolves this.

I wonder has anyone found a simple solution to this problem, or have a
sensible suggestion?

Don't waste your time trying to fix a leaking petrol pipe.
I would advise you to get a parts list from S&J for your model and order a
new one. The model number will be displayed somewhere on the plastic body
of your trimmer. Parts are designed, I think, to be unrepairable. And
possibly designed to fail prematurely!

Baz

Bob Hobden 17-07-2012 05:33 PM

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak

"Jeff Layman" wrote

[...]

And do please remember an empty petrol tank is a lot more dangerous than a
full one, it's a bomb. Ensure there are no naked flames anywhere near and do
it all outside. Mechanics often fill empty tanks with water especially if
they have to weld anywhere near one.
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

shazzbat 17-07-2012 06:21 PM

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Jeff Layman" wrote

[...]

Diesel tanks we do that with. With petrol tanks it's quicker and simpler to
feed the exhaust of a running engine into the tank to be welded. Dries it
out in seconds.

Steve

Baz[_3_] 18-07-2012 12:36 PM

Spear & Jackson Petrol Hedge Trimmer Petrol Leak

"shazzbat" wrote in
:

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"Jeff Layman" wrote

[...]

Thats a new one on me. But makes sense. Not hot enough to ignite the gas
but cool enough to dry it out of gas.
Baz