Old 19-07-2012, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default "Jolly Bee"

Anyone know where I can get a guaranteed "Jolly bee" geranium? Don't
want Rozanne and seeing the two at Eyhtrope Garden tonight (a wonderful
walled vegetable and flower garden done on old Victorian lines owned by
the Rotschilds) I prefer the mounded Jolly bee to the more lower growing
Rozanne.

--
Janet Tweedy
Old 19-07-2012, 09:03 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote in message
Anyone know where I can get a guaranteed "Jolly bee" geranium? Don't want
Rozanne and seeing the two at Eyhtrope Garden tonight (a wonderful walled
vegetable and flower garden done on old Victorian lines owned by the
Rotschilds) I prefer the mounded Jolly bee to the more lower growing
Rozanne.

--
Janet Tweedy

Janet, I thought the recent court battle decided they were identical and
came down in favour of Rozanne, Jolly Bee no longer being allowed (all to do
with Plant Breeders Rights)

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 19-07-2012, 12:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Charlie Pridham
writes
Janet, I thought the recent court battle decided they were identical
and came down in favour of Rozanne, Jolly Bee no longer being allowed
(all to do with Plant Breeders Rights)

The plant breeder man that spoke at the recent HPS in Winslow said that
he felt they were different in growing habit.

Now, it may be that they are identical to all intents and purposes but
last night four very experienced gardeners all said the same thing,
Jolly bee makes a nice mound in growing and Rozanne is more straggly and
low growing.
Maybe it's like conifers that are prostrate. If you take a cutting from
an upright bit you get an upright shrub if you take a cutting from the
middle going sideways you get a prostrate shrub.
I bow to scientists if they say it's the same - i only saw the
difference visually and know what four different gardeners said from
experience.
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 19-07-2012, 12:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Jolly Bee and Rozanne have been declared to be one and the same. You
should have told me when you were here as we have Jolly Bee growing by
the gate into the car park! But now we have to call it Rozanne.

Well that rules out PBR and please may i have a little bit if it's
forming a mound and not a carpet

Wanted to get it for Judy one of whose dogs got run over in their long
drive yesterday by the milkman, (the dog was lovely, inherited from an
old aunt, she was a Guide dog originally but was now 14 and deaf) The
poor dog got her leg banged and broken as she didn't hear the milk
float reverse and she died en route to vets.

As her name was Pebbles and there's very little that's named so. I
thought a Jolly Bee plant might cheer Judy up as she's always wanted
one.
--
Janet Tweedy
Old 19-07-2012, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

[...]

I am so sorry for Judy I hope you manage to find what you need.

http://www.shop.helpforheroes.org.uk/

Old 19-07-2012, 02:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet Tweedy" wrote

Sacha writes
Jolly Bee and Rozanne have been declared to be one and the same. You
should have told me when you were here as we have Jolly Bee growing by the
gate into the car park! But now we have to call it Rozanne.

Well that rules out PBR and please may i have a little bit if it's
forming a mound and not a carpet

Wanted to get it for Judy one of whose dogs got run over in their long
drive yesterday by the milkman, (the dog was lovely, inherited from an old
aunt, she was a Guide dog originally but was now 14 and deaf) The poor dog
got her leg banged and broken as she didn't hear the milk float reverse
and she died en route to vets.

As her name was Pebbles and there's very little that's named so. I thought
a Jolly Bee plant might cheer Judy up as she's always wanted one.

Don't know if she is into cacti but how about some Lithops, known as living
stones or pebble plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithops
http://www.lithops.info/
--
Regards. Bob Hobden.

Old 19-07-2012, 03:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Sacha" wrote
I've ask Ray for some, Janet and he'll see what can be done without
killing the whole thing! It does spread but is mound forming, too,
if that makes sense. Certainly, when Ray planted it, it was 'Jolly
Bee'. This whole name/plant thing can get irritating. Ray has a
variegated Bilbergia staring us in the face but Wisley told him it
doesn't exist! Apparently, a couple of people have said that, in
their opinion, Rosanne and Jolly Bee are entirely different plants,
even though the flowers are so similar. As you say, one ismound
forming and the other is straggly. Also, Jolly Bee seems to flower
for much longer. I'm so sorry to hear of this, poor Judy. Do give
her our warmest thoughts and best wishes.

I have this plant which was bought as Rozanne (from Blooms GC iirc) and
would also describe mine as a fairly vigorous, mounding spreader - like
yours it seems to do both. It does flower for a long time, well into
autumn, and the individual flowers are larger than e.g. Johnson's Blue
and make a good show for months.

It's confusing - Carol Klein once said Jolly Bee was in her opinion the
better one, so she must have though there's a difference but now plant
science has declared them the same, apparently.

--
Sue

Old 19-07-2012, 03:45 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 19/07/2012 12:05, Janet Tweedy wrote:
In article , Sacha
writes
Jolly Bee and Rozanne have been declared to be one and the same. You
should have told me when you were here as we have Jolly Bee growing by
the gate into the car park! But now we have to call it Rozanne.

Well that rules out PBR and please may i have a little bit if it's
forming a mound and not a carpet

Wanted to get it for Judy one of whose dogs got run over in their long
drive yesterday by the milkman, (the dog was lovely, inherited from an
old aunt, she was a Guide dog originally but was now 14 and deaf) The
poor dog got her leg banged and broken as she didn't hear the milk float
reverse and she died en route to vets.

As her name was Pebbles and there's very little that's named so. I
thought a Jolly Bee plant might cheer Judy up as she's always wanted one.

There is a rose called 'Pebble Beach'. However, it's more commonly sold
as 'Softcover' or 'Sparkling Pink'. What Judy calls it within her own
garden is her affair.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 19-07-2012, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Bob Hobden
writes
Don't know if she is into cacti but how about some Lithops, known as
living stones or pebble plants.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithops
http://www.lithops.info/

Thanks Bob, I have found a nursery in NI which sells a Hosta called sand
pebbles, well the RHS says it does but I can't find it in their
catalogue!!

Also Chiltern seeds had Auriana pebbles. No idea what the plant is but
I'll give that a go
Old 19-07-2012, 04:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Spider
writes
There is a rose called 'Pebble Beach'. However, it's more commonly
sold as 'Softcover' or 'Sparkling Pink'. What Judy calls it within her
own garden is her affair.

Lovely will look out for it.