GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   What Tree (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/204522-what-tree.html)

Bobh 20-07-2012 01:26 PM

What Tree

1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys, hopefully someone can identify this tree, thanks..

Stewart Robert Hinsley 20-07-2012 04:30 PM

What Tree

In message , Bobh
writes

Hi guys, hopefully someone can identify this tree, thanks..

|Filename: 275cac06.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15175|

Viburnum opulus (guelder rose)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Viburnum_01.JPG

--
Bobh

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Janet 20-07-2012 04:41 PM

What Tree

In article , Bobh.a7f2336
@gardenbanter.co.uk says...

Hi guys, hopefully someone can identify this tree, thanks..

|Filename: 275cac06.jpg |
|Download: http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15175|

looks like viburnum opulus (it's more of a shrub than a tree)

Janet

Sue[_11_] 20-07-2012 04:54 PM

What Tree

"Bobh" wrote in message
Hi guys, hopefully someone can identify this tree, thanks..

|Filename: 275cac06.jpg |
|Download:
http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/attachment.php?attachmentid=15175|

Look like a Viburnum opulus to me. The common name is guelder rose and
it's generally regarded as a British native.

It's a quite large shrub or small shrubby tree that has 'lacecap' white
flowers in Spring, followed by bunches of berries that turn a lovely
shade of sealing-wax red by late summer. Those can make a fine display
into autumn - if the blackbirds don't polish them all off before they
get that far (they love 'em).

The leaves give autumn colour too, turning bronze and an attractive
wine-red. I think it's a lovely shrub that more than earns its keep
through the seasons.

--
Sue

kay 20-07-2012 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobh (Post 965016)
Hi guys, hopefully someone can identify this tree, thanks..

Guelder rose, Viburnum opulus.